BREAKING: Officials place Kappa Sigma fraternity on probation through May

Mississippi State University officials placed the Kappa Sigma fraternity chapter on probation through May 15, 2010, as a result of a Sept. 18 incident.
    Vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler said the fraternity chapter admitted responsibility for violating MSU’s Code of Student Conduct.
    “There were several alcohol violations stemming from this event,” he said. “Some involving the lack of control over the alcohol which therefore resulted in underage drinking and excessive consumption.”
    Kibler said one person in particular had “an exceptionally high blood alcohol content.”
    Kappa Sigma organizational activities are now limited to internal business meetings through Dec. 31, 2009. The chapter is permitted to petition the Dean of Students’ Office between January and May to resume limited alcohol-free events. All fraternity members must complete an alcohol education class through the dean’s office. The fraternity must also sponsor an educational speaker for all campus Greek organizations on a topic that benefits the community, coordinate a campus-wide community service program and submit progress reports to the university every three months.
    Although the fraternity has been placed on probation by MSU authorities, the fraternity’s national headquarters has yet to sanction the chapter. Mitchell Wilson, executive director of the Kappa Sigma National Fraternity Office, said Kappa Sigma national officials are still conducting their own investigation in to the Sept. 18 incidents.
    “We accept that they [Mississippi State University officials] have made this decision, but we’re not sure what our final decision will be in regard to the standing of the chapter,” he said. “We’ll have a board meeting on Oct. 17. The investigation may be completed and discussed then.”