Online Only: Fantasy football better understood after week one

Unless you have Drew Brees or Adrian Peterson, you probably lost your game last week, which means you have to step up this week or face digging yourself into a 0-2 hole. After seeing real games, we have a better idea how players will produce. Now you want to look at the matchups and the upside as you decide who to start. Here are key players I think will either exceed expectations or fall below owners’ hopes this weekend:
    Philip Rivers QB/SD – These are not the Ravens of old. Their secondary is not as strong as it used to be, and if Brodie Croyle can finish as a top-10 QB against Baltimore, imagine what Rivers and company can do.
    Darren McFadden RB/OAK – In his one game against the Chiefs last season, D-Mac ran for 164 yards and one touchdown. Just sayin’.
    Terrell Owens WR/BUF – I hate T.O. on basic principle, but I love him this week in fantasy. Tampa Bay gave up 353 passing yards vs. the Cowboys last week and the Bills offense has every chance to match that number Sunday.
    Brian Westbrook RB/PHI – When you play the Saints, you run the ball as often as possible to keep their offense off the field. When you lose your starting QB, you run the ball as often as possible to ease the pressure on the backup. And when the guy running the ball as often as possible is Brian Westbrook, put him in your lineup.as quick as possible.
    Matt Schaub QB/HOU – I expect a bounce-back week for Corn on the Schaub. The Titans will shut down the run game (see: Slaton, Steve); but, like the Ravens, their secondary is less stellar than most think. They gave up 363 yards through the air to Big Ben last week. Kevin Walter is back as the No. 2 receiver, and the last meeting between the Texans and Titans resulted in 284 yards and one touchdown for Schaub.
    Randy Moss WR/NE – Moss looked great Monday night, but in two games against the Jets last year, he totaled only five catches for 47 yards. The Jets’ Darrelle Revis, who held Andre Johnson to three fantasy points last weekend, has become an elite cornerback and should give Moss fits.
    Maurice Jones-Drew RB/JAC – MJD is an immensely talented player, but the Jaguar offense is so one-dimensional that teams are not afraid to stack the box and dare David Garrard to beat them through the air. Arizona was in the same situation last week against the 49ers and held Frank Gore to 30 yards rushing. They may not be that successful against MJD, but it still will not be pretty for the Jags.
    Dwayne Bowe WR/KC – Beware the curse of Nnamdi Asomugha. Asomugha is the best cover corner in the league, and he shuts down number one receivers on the regular. The last time these two met, Bowe had two receptions for 27 yards and zero touchdowns.
    Steve Slaton RB/HOU – Reports out of Nashville say the Titans are determined to shut down the speedy Slaton. He amassed an astounding 17 rush yards against the Jets last week, and now he faces a Titan defense who held the Steelers to 1.6 yards per rush on opening weekend.
    Jay Cutler QB/CHI – If he threw four interceptions against the Packers, what do you think will happen against the NFL’s toughest, nastiest defense in the Steelers? Expect Coach Lovie Smith to return to a run-oriented offense after Cutler’s poor Bears debut.
    A few more players I think will do well this week: Trent Edwards, Louis Murphy, Josh Cribbs, John Carlson and Cadillac Williams.
    And some guys you might want to lower your expectations for: LaDainian Tomlinson, Donovan McNabb, Matt Forte and Steve Smith.
    Also, when there is no fantasy advice in the paper, you can find me at reflector-online.com every Tuesday and Friday for tons of fantasy goodness.