New rides added to free bike program

The Mississippi State University bike program is in the process of adding 100 new MSU bikes to campus over the next couple of days.
    Parking Services is in the process of assembling the new bikes and placing them around campus.
    Mike Harris, Parking Services director, said the department is planning to release about 10 bikes a day for the next several days until all of the new bikes are in use.
    Harris said the new bicycles are more durable than the bicycles added last year.
    “These have stronger, much more sturdier tires, adjustable seats, baskets on the front – a place to put your books or other things you want to carry – it is a much more sturdier metal on the bicycles,” he said. “Also, the chains are much heavier so they will not break and come off as easy. So basically it is just a more upgraded version of the other bikes.”
    Because the new bikes are sturdier than the other bikes, Harris said there is a disadvantage.
    “Of course, these bikes do cost more, but we do think that because of the upgrades, their longevity will offset that cost,” he said.
    Bill Kibler, vice president of student affairs, said he is optimistic about this next group of bikes.
    “We think we will be even more pleased with this new crop because they will be a little bit more substantial,” Kibler said. “We are hoping this next round of bicycles will be a little more durable than the last crop.”
    He said because student affairs is adding more bicycles on campus, there will be a time when accommodations will have to be made around campus.
    “We actually add them [racks] on a fairly regular basis, but there is one added here and one there, so you might not necessarily notice when we add one, and we will continue to do that when we see a place on campus that is in need of another bike rack,” Kibler said.
    Because bikes are the most recommended form of transportation according to Harris, MSU will soon have to start adding bike lanes around campus.
    Roger Baker, associate director for campus landscape, said bike lanes are one of the top five improvements MSU hopes to make in the future.
    “We are working with the city to try and come up with the best routes and locations for the bike routes right now,” Baker said. “But, with the budget situation the way it is with the city and MSU, there is really not any funding available for bike lanes at this time.”
    He said MSU is trying to get feedback from students, faculty and staff for recommendations on where bike lane locations may need to be.
    “We [MSU] are about to undertake a new master plan within the next year or so that will look at the transportation plan to see what will be best for MSU,” Baker said. “But as of right now, there is no locked-in set date for when bike lanes will be added to campus.”
    Although MSU does not have some of the necessary accommodations for bicycles on campus, Kibler said if the bike program is a success again this year, student affairs will consider adding more bikes again next fall.
    “Our intention is to add an additional 100 bikes each year to this bike ride program until we no longer have enough funds to do so or until we get the idea that we have enough on campus,” he said.
    Kibler said so far, the responses to the bike program have been optimistic, even though Parking Services has had a little trouble with the upkeep of the bikes thus far.
    “The feedback that we have gotten back has been very positive and the fact that we see so many students using them,” he said. “And the fact that we see bikes broken around campus because they are being used a lot is a good thing. I think this has been a success, so that is why we bought 100 new ones.”
    Harris said the MSU bikes will never be mistaken for any other type of bike.
    “They are trademarked, copyrighted, university licensed product,” he said. “So there is nowhere else you will see this product.”
    Students said they are interested to see what the new bikes are going to be like compared to the older bicycles.
    Trey Thompson, senior communication major, said he has not had the best experience with the MSU bikes thus far.
    “The last time I rode one of the MSU bikes, the handle bars broke while I was riding it,” he said. “I am glad to hear we are getting a more durable set of bikes this time.”