New ‘sandwich’ an abomination

Lately, health care has been getting a great deal of attention, and rightfully so. Most Americans are genuinely interested in taking care of themselves and want to ensure that they remain as healthy as possible. If you are one of those people, stop reading now. This article is not for you.
    Now, for those still reading, I’ve got some exciting news! A bit over a month ago, Kentucky Fried Chicken unveiled its newest innovation. It’s called the Double Down Sandwich, and it consists of two pieces of cheese, some bacon and a mysterious substance called the “Colonel’s Sauce.” Now, so far this sounds like the recipe for a pretty unoriginal (though probably delicious) sandwich.
    But KFC decided to take it several steps further (you might want to sit down before reading on). All of these ingredients are served between two chicken filets. No, seriously. I’m not kidding. They made a sandwich using chicken instead of bread.
    After I got past my initial shock upon hearing about the Double Down Sandwich (and the nightmares I had that evening), I decided to do a little research to figure out what kind of nutritional value it has (it seemed like a good idea at the time). The results are not pretty.
    According to estimates by The Vancouver Sun, one serving contains a staggering 1,228 calories, plus well over the suggested daily allowance of fat, cholesterol, sodium and protein. KFC itself is more conservative, estimating that the sandwich has closer to 590 calories, and only half the recommended daily value of fat and cholesterol.
    Who’s right? I’m guessing the real nutritional value is somewhere in between. We won’t know for sure until KFC runs some actual tests. But no matter whom you believe, it’s definitely on the upper end of the unhealthy fast food spectrum.
    If this doesn’t faze you, you may be interested in trying a Double Down monstrosity for yourself, which you can do so for the low price of $4.99, plus the cost of taking a road trip to Nebraska or Rhode Island (currently the only places the sandwich is available).
    But for those who are content to eat vicariously, a reviewer at the blog foodgeekery.com describes the sandwich as “the best thing ever” and “a party in my mouth.” The numbers also seem to back up the notion that the sandwich is delicious, with results far exceeding expectations in most of the test markets.
    So the Double Down Sandwich is cheap, tasty and an abomination against God. I think it’s an excellent representative of a point that Time Magazine recently raised; namely, that for a given price, it’s possible to buy much more junk food than wholesome food.
    For instance, the same amount of money will buy either 1,200 calories of potato chips, 875 calories of soft drinks, 250 calories of vegetables or 170 calories of fruit. As a result, there are quite a few people who simply don’t want to put forth a little extra time or money to eat right and ensure their physical well-being.
    So I’d like to challenge everyone who is reading this to take a break from poor eating habits. We’re still the most obese state in the U.S., but with a little work, maybe we can finally shed that title (seriously, it shouldn’t take much; Alabama’s been closing in on us for a while now).
    Don’t get me wrong – I’m not suggesting that you completely reverse your eating habits because of an article you read in The Reflector. But maybe next time you get a craving for some cheap pizza, consider having a salad instead. Or maybe next time you’re at the grocery store, instead of the value-sized box of corn dogs, get a few less and spend the difference on some apples.
    Or maybe, just maybe, if KFC ever brings the Double “Bypass” Sandwich to Starkville, consider having just the sandwich instead of the full combo.
    McNeill Williford is a senior majoring in industrial engineering. He can be contacted at [email protected].