Time for us to exhibit unity

If there was ever a time for unity, the time is now. I don’t mean the type of unity which exists among one culture either. I mean the unity which exists between a family and can be shared with all walks of life no matter the race, nationality, creed or anything else that may differentiate an individual from another.
    It frustrates me when we feel like we can walk past another person and not have the decency to wave a hand, say hello and even tilt our heads as a form of respect. Many would say if the other person doesn’t speak, then why should I? The barriers have to be broken and someone has to be the person to break them, just like every barrier which has existed or currently exists. That’s just one example.
    During my junior year in high school, I went to Albuquerque, N.M., to compete in the International Science and Engineering Fair. This opportunity was only granted to a very selective number of students, and the opportunity does not come around often, so I was anxious to begin this journey.
    When I arrived, I was amazed by the creativity I saw but mostly by the people I met and various lengths of time it took for them to arrive in the United States. The fair consisted of people from 51 different countries and territories.
    Of course anyone could see we were all from different surroundings, backgrounds and beliefs, but the level of unity we all felt was beyond measure and it brought us closer together as competitors but more importantly as human beings. I met people from Turkey, Brazil, Peru, Singapore, Thailand, China, Europe and the list goes on. I think one of my favorite encounters was when I met a guy from South Africa who invented some type of alternative rocket fuel!
    This goes to show each of us shares a common bond and it is imperative we all find some type of common ground. I know many people think we don’t have much in common, but we share more than we think.
    I know many people came out to the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s Annual Homecoming Step Show on Friday night. Not only did we get to see unity among the NPHC fraternities and sororities, but there were two distinguished groups that shared in it and performed at the show who did an amazing job.
    These two sororities are Chi Omega and Zeta Tau Alpha. Each organization stepped with pride and integrity, and it was a wonderful celebration of unity, strength and hope.
    Another example and organization I work for which deals with unifying on a daily basis is the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center. We most recently hosted an event called Umoja which means “unity” in Swahili. The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center serves as an agent for the students of Mississippi State University, allowing them to become more in touch with campus life, their own culture and the cultures of many others.
    Unity is something which has been lacking in our society and our community for centuries. If we ever plan to move forward, we must move as a unit. We will never succeed as a people if we don’t act and work on one accord. Let the revolution begin and continue in you. Greet someone today you have never met before and embrace them not only as another human being, but a brother or a sister.
    Stedmond Ware is a sophomore majoring in biological sciences. He can be contacted at [email protected].