Miss Maroon and White queen crowned Friday

The seventh annual Miss Maroon and White Pageant ended Friday evening with the crowning of Mary Margaret Roark as Miss Maroon and White 2009-2010.
    Roark is a freshman majoring in political science. Her long-term career goals include becoming a reconstructive plastic surgeon.
    Roark said she was especially grateful to serve as Miss Maroon and White as a freshman.
    “I’m so honored,” Roark said. “I’m really excited to have the title and represent Mississippi State University.”
    She said her favorite part of the pageant was getting to meet all the other contestants and making new friends she would not have met otherwise.
    Roark also said the pageant was a learning experience.
    “I learned how to handle any type of situation and think on my feet,” Roark said.
    Miss Maroon and White 2008-2009 Joy Powell said she agreed the pageant was a worthwhile experience.
    “I love being on stage,” Powell said. “The best thing about being Miss Maroon and White is hosting events and representing my school.”
    Powell, a senior majoring in communication with an emphasis in broadcasting and public relations, said being Miss Maroon and White has helped her work on her broadcasting skills.
    She said hosting Campus Activity Board events has helped her become more comfortable when talking in front of audiences, which will help her in her broadcasting career after graduation.
    Powell also said one of the best things about being Miss Maroon and White was representing MSU.
    “It’s kind of sad [to be giving up my title],” Powell said. “It’s been a great year and a good experience.”
    This year’s Miss Maroon and White pageant had 52 contestants.
    Other winners at Miss Maroon and White were Rachael Hughes, named Most Photogenic, and Taylor Clayton, who received the Spirit of Miss Maroon and White award for selling the most program book ads.
    The runners up were (listed from first to fourth) Amanda Nicole French, Paromita Mitra, Anne Elise Parks and Rachael Hughes.
    Miss Maroon and White is a fundraiser for CAB activities like the Old Main Music Festival.
    Samantha Musil, assistant director of the Colvard Student Union and CAB advisor, said Miss Maroon and White has helped to build school spirit on campus.
    “It’s become a tradition on campus,” said Musil.
    Musil said the Miss Maroon and White pageant helps give young ladies confidence and helps get them involved on campus.
    Miss Maroon and White represents the students by emceeing many CAB events, Musil said.
    “We’re really happy with the event this year,” Musil said. “We thank everyone who participated and supported the pageant.”