Director Spike Lee brings inspiring lecture to campus

Tonight, the critically acclaimed director, writer, producer and actor Spike Lee will be presenting “America Through My Lens” at Mississippi State University’s Humphrey Coliseum.
    Doors open at 7 p.m. and the presentation begins at 8 p.m. The event is free to the public.
    “America Through My Lens” is part of the Global Lecture Series Campus Activities Board Committee which brings speakers to Mississippi State to promote awareness of global issues.
    When presenting “America Through My Lens” at previous universities, Lee has focused on his experiences as an African-American filmmaker in Hollywood and how he became the successful filmmaker he is today.
    Beyond that, he has expounded upon social issues, such as racial tensions, which are displayed in his work.
    Lee’s production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.
    The Atlanta-born director’s recent films include “The 25th Hour,” “The Original Kings of Comedy” and “Bamboozled.” His 1989 film, “Do the Right Thing,” won an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay.
    He made a statement in 2006 with his documentary “When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts,” about the devastation in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina, and the film won a 2007 Emmy for exceptional merit in nonfiction filmmaking.
    Spike Lee is the first Global Lecture speaker coming to MSU under junior international business major Michelle Cordova, CAB’s division head of the speaker’s forum.
    “The Global Lecture Series tries to bring in big names like Colin Powell that everyone knows,” she said. “It is an experience for students to hear from a well-known director.”
    The process to bring Lee to Mississippi State’s campus began last spring when Ryvell Fitzpatrick, currently CAB’s coffee house division head, was division head of the speaker’s forum before Cordova took over.
    “I looked at Spike Lee’s work and saw that he causes change all over the world and realized if he can inspire the world, then he can inspire Mississippi State,” junior English major Fitzpatrick said.
    Senior broadcast communication major DeJanae Banks, CAB student director, believes there will be a strong turnout to Spike Lee’s presentation.
    “We have high expectations, and I do not think we will be disappointed. We have had great turnouts for other events this semester, and I hope this will be successful as well,” she said.
    Though Lee’s draw may come in part from his celebrity status, his critical views of worldly affairs can give students constructive information and new perspectives on life.
    “I hope that those who come will be inspired by Lee’s work to do something of their own. I hope he inspires the Mississippi State campus to work towards perfection if we are not perfect,” Fitzpatrick said.
    Banks said she believes students will gain something from Lee’s experience.
    “I am impressed with his work, which is in my field, so I am looking forward to him coming to speak,” she said. “He has worked in some many different areas – film, enterprise and business – which relates to the different areas at State. I hope the student body comes to hear him speak and picks something up from the experience.”
    Further allowing students to explore the topics Lee discusses during his time at MSU, an open forum, free to those who come, will be held in the Dawg House, Thursday at 7 p.m.
    “The forum will see how what Spike Lee talked about affects us as students. If there is an issue he brings up that we need to solve, we will come together as a student body and solve it,” Fitzpatrick said.
    Through the free activities the Campus Activities Board has planned around Spike Lee’s visit to the Mississippi State campus, students have a chance to discuss global issues affecting them as college students.
    For more information about the event visit msstate.edu/org/cab or call 325-2930.