In memoriam: Steven Hogan

“He was the person everyone got along with; he had a lot of friends that loved and cared about him. He will always have a place in my heart carrying on his spirit,” Constance Chandler said about her friend Steven Levert Hogan, 21, who died Sunday.
    Hogan, an Aramark/MSU Dining employee, died at Oktibbeha County Hospital after a car accident Sunday morning around 2:30 a.m. at the intersection of Hwy 12 and Smith Road.
    Brian Mobley, Mississippi Highway Patrol public affairs officer, said Hogan was driving a 1994 black Jeep Cherokee.
    “[Hogan] was traveling west and traveled off the road to the left and collided with a tree,” Mobley said. “[Hogan] was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle.”
    Hogan was transported by ambulance to Oktibbeha County Hospital where he later died.
    Rantreavis Gibson, Hogan’s co-worker and friend, said Hogan was a loyal and trustworthy friend.
    “He was the most kind and loving person. Anything he could do for anyone, he was there for any situation and always had a smile on his face,” Gibson said. “We knew he would always be here for us no mater what.”
    Peggy Brewer, Chik-fil-A shift supervisor Hogan’s cousin, said Hogan was always happy and she never saw him without a smile on his face.
    “He had a hat for every occasion,” Brewer said. “He always came into work with a different hat on.”
    She said he was a good, responsible worker and got along with everyone as well.
    “He would always try to steer you in the right direction,” Brewer said. “He was like a big brother.”
    Erika Robinson, Hogan’s cousin, said he will be missed by many and said she is always going to remember Hogan by his smiling face.
    “When we were little, we used to play together; he used to always tell me, ‘I always wanted to play with the boys and not the girls,'” she said. “I am going to miss his smile.”
    Teauntay Harris, Hogan’s co-worker and friend, said he was easy to get along with.
    “He was a very nice person,” Harris said. “[Everyone] would have loved to be around him.”
    Hogan’s funeral is scheduled to be Saturday at 2 p.m. at the First Baptist Longview Church in Starkville.