Veterans remembered

The Mississippi State University G.V. “Sonny” Montgomery Center for America’s Veterans is hosting the second annual veterans awareness week with numerous events taking place throughout campus over the next five days.
    Andrew Rendon, director of the Center for America’s Veterans, said although the events last for only a week, recognizing those who have enlisted should be a daily occurrence.
    “It’s important to be aware of what it means to our soldiers and what they do when we celebrate all week long the sacrifices they make day in and day out,” Rendon said. “My intention is to remember the veterans every day and we ask people to always keep them in their minds.”
    Events commence today at 9 a.m. with a workshop for faculty and staff on raising awareness for the needs of veterans when they return back to school. The workshop takes place in the Colvard Student Union Room 324.
    Wednesday, Veteran’s Day, will feature wreaths placed at all war memorials on campus while “Taps” is played. The first will take place at the Veteran’s Memorial Rose Garden on Highway 182 at 1:15 p.m., the second will be at the Vietnam Memorial on campus behind Lee Hall at 1:25 p.m. and at 1:35 p.m. officials will gather at the World War II Memorial behind Lee Hall.
    The wreath placements will culminate with a ceremony led by university President Mark Keenum at 2 p.m. on the Drill Field. The rain location for the event is the Colvard Student Union’s Foster Ballroom.
    “While we will recognize the 300 veteran students we have here at MSU and their 600 dependents, we will also pay special salute to the veterans from the past who attended,” Rendon said. “MSU has memorials for students who saw action in Vietnam, World War I and others, so this university has a long-standing history of students and military.”
    Following the ceremony, there will be a reception to honor veterans will at 3 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union’s Foster Ballroom. All veterans in the area are invited to attend and be recognized for their services.
    Friday will feature an invitation-only luncheon for all Vietnam veterans in the area.
    The week-long salute to veterans will end at the MSU football game against the University of Alabama Saturday. The game will feature special recognition to members of the armed forces, as well as a patriotic halftime show performed by the Famous Maroon Band.
    MSU assistant director of bands Craig Aarhus said the show has been a fan favorite since its conception in the mid ’90s.
    “It’s always great to take some time out and pay tribute to our servicemen and women,” Aarhus said. “It’s a good thing for all Americans, regardless of who they are cheering for on game day, to rally around and show their appreciation to those who give so much.”
    With ROTC programs for the Air Force and Army, MSU houses numerous veteran students.
    Freshman physical education major John Blair said these events are important to remind students about veterans at MSU.
    “I think these events are needed because so often people forget us having to get deployed because everything is peaceful over here,” Blair said. “With my deployment taking place after next semester and the Starkville unit just leaving, I think people should know we’re still very active.”
    Following the creation of the Center for Veterans, the university has taken a more prominent role in recognizing Veteran’s Day.
    “It really starts with the quality ROTC programs here, military-friendly academic policies and allowing students to retroactively withdraw if they are deployed,” Rendon said. “The teachers and faculty will bend over backwards to help our veterans.”