Award embodies student success

The Office of Student Affairs is accepting applications for the 2009 Spirit of State awards, which is the highest award any student can receive.
    Spirit of State was first awarded in 2006 to honor students who have been exceptionally involved on campus and helped better the MSU experience for other people.
    Bill Broyles, associate vice president for student affairs, said this year’s awards will recognize outstanding things students do around campus.
    “We have always been concerned with finding students who have done something great and made a big impact to this university,” Broyles said. “This is the fourth year we are recognizing students for the Spirit of State award. We just wanted to recognize students who make MSU better for everyone.”
    He said students are the university’s most important benefactors.
    “We want to be able to recognize the contributions students are making for MSU and give them the highest award I believe that could be given to any student at MSU,” Broyles said.
    2008 Spirit of State award winner John Thompson said the award is a huge honor for anyone who receives it.
    “Spirit of State to me exemplifies what every MSU student should be and should strive to be,” Thompson said. “Every student should have an experience here at State that will better themselves and the people around them.”
    He said the award recognizes students who are passionate about MSU.
    “Spirit of State award rewards students who care about their studies, their peers and the faculty around campus,” Thompson said. “It is an excellent award to be given.”
    Former selection committee member Rebecca Warden, said Spirit of State awards people for quality more than quantity.
    “We are looking for people who are not necessarily involved in every organization on campus but have been involved and done a lot for the organizations they are involved in,” Warden said.
    She said there are some characteristics that stand out among Spirit of State winners.
    “We find people who are passionate and driven,” Warden said. “We want people who stand out with selfless service to the university and people who show sincere character and passion for MSU.”
    Broyles said he encourages students to apply.
    “Each applicant must be nominated for the award,” he said. “I encourage students to nominate those who they feel deserve the award.”
    Qualifications for applicants include a minimum 2.25 grade point average, good academic and disciplinary standings with MSU and a classification, which is determined by the Registrar’s Office.
    Broyles said Spirit of State awards are given by the university not only to show pride in its students, but also to show the student’s pride in the university.
    “The award is only as good as the applicants we have to choose from,” he said. “Out of about 50 applications each year, we choose around 20 or 22.”
    Broyles said the winners will be selected by March 9 and contacted by March 13. The recognition program will be held on April 17.