Candidates assemble in Dawg House

Potential Student Association nominees took the stage and presented ideas and platforms in the Colvard Student Union Dawg house Tuesday.
    Positions expecting to be filled in this year’s SA election will be the president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and attorney general.
    Junior biological science major Blake Jeter is running unopposed in this year’s presidential race.
    During the debate, Jeter talked about his vision for MSU and some of the things he wants to accomplish.
    “I think we should strive everyday to improve the individual experience for students here at Mississippi State,” Jeter said. “The SA wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for students.”
    One thing Jeter wants to improve on is textbook reform.
    “We have got to figure out a way to reduce the price of textbooks,” Jeter said. “I want to create some type of alternative for students to have a peer-to-peer textbook exchange.”
    Jeter said while campaigning, one of the main issues he addresses is students involvement.
    “One program I want to start is a campaign called the Choose One Campaign,” he said. “I want to you figure out a way to pick one organization you can be passionate about.”
    The candidates running for SA vice president are junior political science and economics major Drew Cleek, junior business marketing and Spanish major, Ashley Edwards and sophomore English major Ryvell Fitzpatrick.
    The biggest issue discussed by the vice presidential candidates was the Night Route.
    Edwards said she wants to make the Night Route more of a mode of transportation for students instead of being a late night bar drop-off.
    “We really need to promote it to be more family oriented to where it is not just students that just want to go and enjoy the night life, but for other students and for families that might just want to go eat dinner,” Edwards said.
    Cleek said Night Route improvements are one of the major accomplishments of the SA.
    “Let’s be serious, the Night Route is for Mississippi State students, and they are the ones that are going to ride it,” he said. “It has been a great program, and it has helped students get to and from campus and we need to continue to work on that.”
    Ryvell said he thinks the Night Route should be expanded for students who are not only looking for a ride when they are intoxicated.
    “I feel it is very imperative to allow it to go to places such as Dollar General … for students who do not have cars,” Fitzpatrick said.
    Running for treasurer are junior banking and finance major Hunter Futch and junior international business and accounting major Whit Cox.
    One of the major points made by the candidates for treasurer was about the recent budget cut coming to MSU.
    Futch said he wants to focus on the most important part of the university: education.
    “Obviously, [we would make sure we have funding for] research and development, anything educational, anything that promotes the mission and gets our name out there,” Futch said.
    Cox said he thinks the budget cut will force the SA to raise more money.
    “We are just going to have to work harder to find the funds, and hopefully we won’t have to make many cuts,” Cox said.
    Running for secretary are junior banking and finance major Michelle Peach and junior political science major Anna Rush.
    Peach said she wants to get involved with the SA by helping out with organizations.
    “I feel like the secretary can benefit the entire campus in every aspect because she touches every area everybody’s job description might not pertain to,” Peach said.
    Rush said as SA secretary, he would emphasize the importance of diplomacy to the role.
    “The key to helping with the SA as secretary is organization and helping with communication,” Rush said. “With everyone bringing in ideas and working together, we can pull [together] and get great things accomplished.”
    The candidates for attorney general are sophomore chemical engineering and French major Halston Hales and sophomore communication major Sarah Stone.
    The major issue discussed by the contestants for attorney general was election reform.
    Hales said he wants to change the election process for events like Homecoming and SA elections.
    “I think that we would need a committee or council to come together and to discuss the topics and decide exactly what went wrong this past year and what things need to be changed and get some answers to those questions,” Hales said.
    Stone said she wants to change the Mr. and Mrs. MSU election process to a selection.
    “Mr. and Mrs. MSU shouldn’t be something about how much you campaign and how many people you know,” Stone said. “I think they should have to apply, turn in a resume and have actually have an interview with a committee.”
    Students can vote in Tuesday’s, from 7:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. in Mitchell Memorial Library or the Union.