Valentine’s movies

Jasons psychopathic killing sprees make less-than-perfect men look like Prince Charming on a date.
    Jason’s psychopathic killing sprees make less-than-perfect men look like Prince Charming on a date.

Editor’s Note: Whether you are happily in love or bitter and single, Valentine’s Day is just another reminder of your romantic status. To please both parties, The Reflector has chosen two movies for those who are going out on Valentine’s weekend. Holidays are all about having fun and this one should be no different from any other.

“He’s Just Not That Into You”

By Jennifer Nelson
    Staff Writer
    “He’s Just Not That Into You” is probably the best chick flick of the year thus far, but don’t be afraid to take your best friend or your sweetheart to this movie for Valentine’s Day. Addressing the universal concerns of interpreting and misinterpreting human behaviors, this movie has something for everyone.
    For the singles out there, the star of the movie has to be Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin), the adorable girl who wants to be in love because it seems like everyone else is.
    Gigi, pathetic and lonely, is clueless about guys’ signals and Alex (Justin Long) straight up tells her when to go for a guy and when to run from one.
    The captivating chemistry and charismatic dialogue between these two characters is smart, funny and witty, making it easy for the audience to relate to them.
    The film offers multiple takes on relationships, including technology whiz Mary’s (Drew Barrymore) approach to men – online social networking sites, long voicemails, personal ads and text messaging. She can’t live without multiple modern devices, including her Blackberry, pager and laptop, all of which she depends upon to keep in touch with men.
    If you’ve been in a long-term relationship, the story of Neil (Ben Affleck) and Beth (Jennifer Aniston) and their seven-year non-marriage relationship can be all too frustrating and familiar. Like some men, Neil just does not want to get married; he wants to commit, but doesn’t see the necessity of being officially married.
    The two do a great job of demonstrating how effectively compromise can help a relationship. Just as Beth comes to realize that being conventional isn’t all that matters, Neil realizes he can pursue Beth’s dream of a real marriage to make her truly happy.
    “He’s Just Not That Into You” is a great movie for everyone because whether you’re single or dating, it makes you think about every stage of your romantic life. Using couples and singles at various levels of commitments, the relationships portrayed in the movie are very real and insightful, allowing both guys and girls to relate to it.

“Friday the 13th”

By Bailey Singletary
    Entertainment Editor
    Jason is at it again in the remake of a classic slasher film.
    Boys wanting to be invited in after dinner and a movie got lucky with the 13th of February falling on a Friday.
    If in the remake, Jason still chases horrified hard-bodies, the boys with boring dates will have something to look at for enjoyment.
    The throw-back film has Jason returning to Crystal Lake like he did so many years ago.
    While the main character Clay (Jared Padalecki) searches for his sister he stumbles upon a group of teenagers partying in an abandoned house. There’s no better setup for a thriller than a secluded group of drunk college kids.
    Ladies, keep your eyes open and your man close while the list of who dies next unravels.
    Those who saw the past 11 “Jason” films know going into the theater there are 13 people in the film’s beginning and they will all be murdered before the closing credits.
    For those who do not have a knowledge of the film’s history, it could come as a shock that there are so many murders in the film thus causing immense fear of being alone and of goalie masks.
    So why this film for a Valentine’s date instead of “Confessions of a Shopaholic?”
    This film will please both girls and guys with its suspenseful plot-building and the knee-jerk reaction of moving closer to a date will enhance the movie-going experience, especially for those on a first date.
    With the same production crew as 2003’s “Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” this movie is expected to leave a few of the theater seats a little damp from unexpected jump scenes.
    If you don’t feel like fighting the date crowd at the movie theaters this movie should inspire you and your Valentine’s date to rent the old classic Jason films, get to know the background story and what to expect before heading to the big screen for a bone-chilling remake.