Church groups offer chance to relieve anxiety

The new semester brings with it more opportunities to get involved on campus. Isn’t it better to be too busy than too bored? I think so, which is why I try to be involved in several groups here at Mississippi State. The Christian groups provide both a way to be involved and excellent environments for students to grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Those such as the Baptist Student Union, Wesley Foundation, Campus Crusade for Christ and Reformed University Fellowship are just a few sources of comfort and peace, places that take Jesus Christ’s message of all are welcome to heart.
    I first discovered BSU through many friends who were already members by August. My first time at the BSU could have felt awkward and left me with the feeling of being unwanted or abandoned. This was even expected, as I didn’t know many people there and I wasn’t exactly trying to be outgoing. However, I was greeted warmly by everyone I met and got into several genuine conversations with good folks. They quickly made me feel at home, and I was hooked. I cannot speak for the other three organizations, but I would think they too would take a similar approach of open hearts and open doors.
    It seems people change the most when they go to college. We are rarely the same person four years after orientation and for the most part, this is a good thing. For those of us, myself included, who experience pain and hard times or struggle to find ourselves, these Christian groups are there to lend a helping hand. They provide a better alternative than drinking or resorting to drugs to drive away the pain. Temporary fixers are no match for the comfort and security these organizations can provide.
    Why is it that some college students have issues with depression? Could it be the workload or the impending reality that we will soon be out on our own? At first, it was hard for me to adjust to the added responsibility of keeping up with money, assignments and the like all on my own. Many of us become overwhelmed and feel as if there is nowhere and no one else to turn to. Students, I implore you not to give up! You may have reservations about these Christian programs, but try them out.
    Why do these programs work? Why is their existence so vital to the life of this campus?
    BSU director Michael Ball said he sees these programs as sources of balance in a student’s life.
    “Campus ministries stress the importance of living a balanced life,” he said. “Problems arise when students emphasize one area of their life at the neglect of another area. [Jesus Christ] grew mentally, physically, spiritually and socially. Balance is important and it is especially important on a college campus.”
    A 2002 story from USA Today reported that, according to University of Pittsburgh psychologist Robert Gallagher, 85 percent of colleges reported an increase of students with psychological problems within the previous five years.
    The most important thing to remember, forgetting the statistics and the various activities or benefits provided by each Christian organization, is you are not alone. I can promise there is someone you know out there who has been through or is struggling with depression, stress or feelings of anxiety, and these feelings are normal and acceptable.
    As Ball said, “Belonging to a group that provides community helps build personal accountability and support.”
    What is not acceptable is to keep to yourself. It’s not acceptable to let these feelings control your life.
    With hundreds of ways to get involved and plug in to a network of friends here at MSU, the first step is to go out there and do it. Do not let the last three months of this academic year be ones of monotony and regret. There’s always a place where you can go.
    Ben Leiker is a freshman majoring in biological engineering. He can be contacted at [email protected].