Students choose between money, pursuing dreams

Now let’s be honest. We all have goals and dreams in life we want to pursue and greater heights we strive to achieve. Our parents are always hoping for doctors, lawyers, great political officials and careers of that nature. They want this not only because they’re some of the most profound and established jobs in society’s eyes, but because of the world’s current economic status.
    But what about the guy that wants to be a photographer, the girl who wants to be a fashion designer or the person who wants to devote his or her life to the theater? Many frown upon these career choices because of the uncertainty of its success and the gamble that is taken when pursuing such a career.
    According to a chapter of the March 2009 Grandfather Economic Report series edited by Michael Hodges, America is in more debt than ever before. There is a total debt of $57 trillion, the highest in the history of the United States. That means approximately $186,717 per man, woman and child or $746,868 per family of four. This is $32,104 more than last year. Money plays a principle role in a career decision, and in today’s society, it’s more critical than ever before. So would you be happier in a high paying career or in a career you have always dreamed of no matter how much money you make? Not so easy to answer nowadays.
    After a question and answer period session with 18 fellow Mississippi State students, I heard many different perspectives and some interesting statistics. About 50 percent of the students said they chose their majors and their career because it’s a career that makes a lot of money. About 30 percent said they chose their paths because that’s what they want to do with their lives, and the other 20 percent were indifferent or unsure about what they wanted or why they chose the path they chose.
    Nick Hall, a freshman majoring in human sciences with a concentration in apparel, textiles and merchandising, said, “My major is one that is often left out and avoided, especially by men, but this is something I have wanted to do ever since I was small, and to pursue my dream, it’s a risk I am willing to take.”
    Charles Staffney, a freshman majoring in political science with a concentration in pre-law, said, “Though I do have a keen passion for law, my desire to be stable and the money that the job offers is intriguing as well.” Between doing what he loves or making money, Staffney said he is 50-50. One would not be as important without the other.
    I, as a biological sciences major, can see both sides of the fence. I do want to pursue this career, but I can’t pretend the potential money did not have a hand in it. I’m definitely the type of person who needs stability in order to be content, but my dreams are also very important to me as well. There is no way one could exist without the two. Maybe that’s it! The key is to find the balance between the two and revolve around that. Though we have dreams, we must keep in mind that reality is inevitable. We have to deal with it sooner or later. Whatever you decide to do as far as your career goes, make it great. Do the best job you know how, and maybe if you’re lucky, you will live your dream.
    Stedmond Ware is a freshman majoring in biological sciences. He can be contacted at [email protected].