UPDATED: Student football tickets: Going up

Editor’s Note: The student ticket resolution is solely the product of the MSU Student Association. The Reflector would like to clarify the athletic department, specifically athletic director Greg Byrne, has no direct involvement in presenting the proposal to the SA Senate. Byrne will address the Senate tonight in regard to the proposal, but will not be presenting the resolution along with SA Senator Justin Ammon.
    The Student Association Senate will hear a resolution today that could raise football season tickets for students by $2 per game.
    Off-campus Senator Justin Ammon will present the legislation to the SA Senate today. Mississippi State University athletic director Greg Byrne will also speak in support of the idea. Ammon said an increase in pricing has been long needed.
    “Tickets have been $3 since the 80s, and obviously inflation has happened since then and the ticket prices have not been adjusted at all,” Ammon said. “All we have to do as a student body is do our part and take a little responsibility and pay $2 extra for a SEC [Southeastern Conference] football game.”
    Ammon said the university athletic department stands to gain an additional $150,000 annually if the increase happens. This stream of revenue could be used toward enhancing athletic facilities and even creating a student-based spirit organization, he said.
    “Byrne basically promised that the money would go towards creating a student Bulldog Club,” he said.
    “It would also [go] towards facility improvements.”
    “These are two things we really need on campus for athletics.”
    In past seasons, students have had to pay $3 to gain admittance into home games. This price is significantly lower than almost all major Division 1 schools.
    According to their school Web sites, the University of Michigan charges $200 for student tickets while University of Florida collects $70 from students for the whole season. Ohio State charges students $35 per game while students at Auburn pay $95 for season tickets.
    Adam Byrd, SA director of athletic affairs, said the increase is a long-term option, but he does not expect to see it take place any time soon.
    “As of right now, there is not going to be an increase in student tickets’ prices,” Byrd said. “There is still a lot of research to be done by the athletic department and the Student Association before we look at the avenue of raising student prices.”
    Ammon said the increase will keep the university competitive in the SEC, something it has to do to remain relevant and keep enrollment increasing.
    “Every little bit of money matters when playing sports in the SEC,” he said. “If you want to compete and really want to be a player in the SEC, then your facilities matter, your stadium matters and I hope this will help that.”
    While MSU athletics has shown success in recent years, its funding has been less than ideal. MSU is currently last in the SEC for athletic funding with a budget just under $34 million set aside for athletics.
    In comparison to other SEC schools, the university stands nearly $4 million behind the 11th place university, Ole Miss. Both MSU and Ole Miss do not use public funds for their athletic programs.
    With the ticket increase a possible way to shorten the funding gap between other schools, Byrd said he thinks a relatively small price boost could create extra funds.
    “Mississippi State is last in the SEC in athletic budgets, and [far] behind the 11th place school,” he said. “I think a small increase that would not burden the students too much is a sensible way to make money for the athletic department. However, I do not see this in the immediate future.”
    Recent MSU graduate Josh Dodd said he believes the ticket increase makes sense, especially if the university wants to remain competitive.
    “As a former student and avid Bulldog fan, I would do pretty much anything in order for the football team to consistently perform and play well in our conference,” Dodd said. “If paying a little extra helps enhance the MSU experience and makes us a formidable squad, then I think the increase could pay off.”
    Knowing he may face resistance from student fans, Ammon said he wants students to realize the price increase will still keep student tickets to some of the cheapest in the country.
    “To those out there who will complain about the possible increase, just take a look at the Snickers bar or Coke you just bought and say, ‘Hey could I give this up for improvements toward our university?'” he said. “Even with the price increase, our tickets will remain significantly cheaper than any other SEC school.”