Renowned stallions gallop to MSU

The “World Famous” Lipizzaner Stallions are coming to the Mississippi Horse Park today to perform their unique routine – the combination of Spanish horse riding and ballet. The group has performed for 23 million people throughout the world with shows in North and South America, Great Britain, Europe, Australia and Hawaii.
    “When I came to work at the Mississippi Horse Park in the year 2000, this was the first event that I ever booked,” said Bricklee Miller, Mississippi Horse Park manager. “The program is really neat. These horses are very well-trained and in sync with the music. [There is educational presentation] throughout the entire performance as well.”
    Troy Tinker, who has been the Lipizzaner Stallions’ emcee for 16 years, said most of the riders have been competing since they were 5 years old. Not just anyone can perform. Riders must be of third level carriage, which compares to a brown belt in judo. They must first send in a rsum along with a video showing their riding abilities, and if they’re up to par, they will be called in for a face-to-face interview.
    “There is no room in this show for prima donnas,” Tinker said. “All of the riders clean their own horses, and it’s a lot of dirty work consisting of hard labor. The actual performance is only 5 to 10 percent of the total job.”
    As foreign as a horse ballet may sound to some, Tinker said that this form of entertainment has been around for centuries. Mozart actually composed music specifically for these types of horses to dance to, he said. Similar to a night at the opera, people would put on their wigs and special clothing when attending the performance.
    The Lipizzaner horse breed is rare and unique. According to the Lipizzaner Web site, the Disney movie “The Miracle of the White Stallions,” showing General George Patton saving the Lipizzans at the end of World War II from extinction, created an even greater worldwide interest in the breed. Had it not been for Patton, there would be no Lipizzans today.
    “These horses must train for years and years, so by the time they actually perform, they’ve reached the age of at least 10,” Miller said. “If you miss it this year, it might be a while before they return to Starkville. We’re expecting a tremendous outcome.”
    This year is the 37th anniversary season of The Lipizzaner Stallions, the Web site adds. All new music, choreography and routines have been incorporated in this anniversary edition with a major emphasis on the historical background and foundation of the Lipizzaner breed, from its original breeding and use as a horse of war to a horse of nobility and aristocracy to a living form of equestrian art.
    Regardless of whether you know anything about horses, you’ll be brought up to speed, Tinker said. Basically, it’s Tinker’s job to teach the average Joe about the history behind these performances, riders and horses. Conveniently, he does this during the actual show.
    “It’s a very interesting job,” Tinker said. “What we hope people will take away from the performance is to recognize the perfect partnership between horses and humans.”
    The Lipizanner Stallions had a choice between coming to Starkville or Tupelo’s Bancorp South Center, and luckily they chose Starkville, Miller said. This is their first performance at the Mississippi Horse Park since the year 2003. Prior to their visit in 2000, the Lipizanner Stallions had not performed at the horse park in more than 20 years.
    The gates open at 6:30 tonight with the show beginning at 7:30. Tickets will be available at the door and are $22.50 for adults with a $2 discount for children under 12 and seniors over 60 years of age. Children under 2 get in free.
    The indoor, heated arena will have concessions available and souvenir booths open. Bench-style seating is arranged, so stadium chairs are welcome.