Soccer to continue homestand against North Florida

Coming off a 2-1 double overtime victory over Rice on Sunday, the Mississippi State soccer team looks set to improve its 3-3 record this weekend as it takes on North Florida and Memphis.State will end its three-game home stand against North Florida on Friday hoping to hit the road with a winning record. The team came off their first two home games last weekend with mixed results.
    The team’s home opener against Central Florida saw a flurry of late goals, the last of which secured a 3-2 win for the Golden Knights in the last minute of play.
    The tables were turned the following match against Rice, as Jessica Davis’ header with six minutes remaining allowed for Katlyn Graben’s overtime winner.
    The win was State’s first overtime victory since a 3-2 win at South Carolina in 2004.
    The goal was Graben’s second game winner of the season, as the offensive trio of Davis, Graben and Treena Ferguson continues to bring dividends for the Bulldogs.
    The three have combined for 11 of the team’s 13 goals this season, with Bethany Frazier chipping in with a team leading six assists.
    North Florida (1-5-1) is coming off a crushing 7-0 loss to No. 12 Florida State, while its solitary win on the season was an equally lopsided 13-0 victory over Alabama State.
    Sunday’s game against Memphis, meanwhile, will see the Bulldogs take on a team on the rise, as back to back wins over UT Martin and Alabama have contributed to the Tigers’ 5-3 record.
    Freshman forward Melissa Smith has led the Tigers so far with four goals on the season, her last coming in the 2-0 win against Alabama last weekend.
    The Tigers last match was a 4-1 win against UT Martin, which saw four players contribute goals.
    State’s last match against Memphis came in last year’s home opener, as the Tigers came away with a 2-0 win in Starkville.
    Friday’s game is against North Florida at 7 p.m. at the MSU soccer field and admission is free. The Memphis match takes place at the University of Memphis soccer field at 1 p.m. Sunday.