Ag debate heats up McComas

The three candidates running for Mississippi agriculture and commerce commissioner faced off Tuesday night before 260 people at McComas Hall Theatre.Incumbent Republican Lester Spell, Democrat Rickey Cole and Constitutional Party representative Leslie Riley Jr. argued their positions on topics such as health risks associated with illegal immigrant workers, Mississippi’s declining dairy industry andthe role of land-grant institutions such as MSU in respect of the future of the department of agriculture.
    The debate was sponsored by the Stennis-Montgomery Association and moderated by SMA President Lori Holland. WTVA anchor Craig Ford and Brian Hawkins, managing editor of the Starkville Daily News, delivered questions to the candidates.
    In their first question, the candidates tackled the topic of health issues associated with illegal immigrants who are employed in food processing industries, specifically dealing with a recent tuberculosis scare at a Decatur, Ala. poultry plant.
    Cole and Spell said the problem with illegal immigration rests on the shoulders of the federal government.
    “It’s a health hazard when people sneak into our country unchecked,” Cole said. “The truth is immigrant workers, both documented and undocumented, are a major part of the work force. We have undocumented people who are not going through the health screening that they should have.”
    Spell said Congress should be required to carry out the laws in place against illegal immigration.
    “In large, illegal immigrants capture the jobs that could go to others,” he said. “Since 9/11, we are more susceptible to attack, whether it’s diseases or chemicals.”
    Riley said he is against illegal immigration, and the commissioner should not wait for the government to take care of the problem, but to do anything he can to help.
    “Cole said that he didn’t want to be the commissioner who says ‘that’s not my job,’ but both of them [Spelland Cole] say this is up to federal law and Congress,” Riley said.
    Each of the candidates delivered a different opinion when asked what he would do to help revive the state dairy industry.
    “My view is [that] the first answer is not always that the government needs to help,” Riley said. “That’s a deadly philosophy. We need to find ways to help ease the [state’s] burden.”
    Cole said there is potential in the state dairy industry by seeking out new niché markets.
    “The problem is federal regulation and milk price laws with the FDA,” he said. “After Katrina, we lost 60 dairy farms in Southern Mississippi. We didn’t get help from FEMA, the USDA or from the state government. If we can create valuable niché markets for our dairy industry, and recruit processors, we can find many coming back to our industry.”
    Spell said competition in the dairy industry has led to the decline of Mississippi dairy farms.
    “We have to import more milk in to our state than we can supply for the demand,” he said. “Niché markets can be done, and we have [done that] in various parts, but to tell farmers that we’re changing a national trend, it’s not going to happen.”
    Spell drew fire from both Cole and Riley when the debate shifted to a failed beef processing plant.
    Riley used a personal story to illustrate how blame should be shouldered for the beef plant.
    “I worked at a grocery store, and helped the owners make good money,” he said. “I once had a bad inventory, and even though it wasn’t my fault, I was fired. When $55 million of taxpayer money comes up missing, someone must be held accountable.”
    Cole said that Spell, co-chair of the 14-Person Land, Water and Timber Resources Board, has not even taken one-fourteenth of the blame.
    “It was a fundamentally flawed idea, and was doomed from day one,” Cole said. “The 2001 MSU study on feasibility created a rosy, best-case scenario. If all circumstances had worked out perfectly, it would have only made a 2.5 percent profit.”
    Spell defended the project, saying it was a sincere attempt to bring in jobs for Mississippians.
    “Farmers take risks every day; it’s expensive in this state to do nothing. We tried to create jobs for Mississippians. The LWT board went over this project, and based on the facts, we felt it was a good project. The problem wasn’t the idea, but it was in the construction, oversight and management.”
    When asked about how the candidates viewed an increased roll of land-grant institutions with the department of agriculture, both Spell and Cole agreed that they would like to see more involvement with the two entities.
    Spell said he will continue the partnership between his office and land-grant institutions.
    “The main role should be in the areas of research to increase productivity, fighting and preventing diseases and developing new markets for Mississippi,” he said. “Studies that have revolutionized cotton and catfish industries happened here at MSU. That’s the partnership we need.”
    Cole said he would like to see more extension programs involved with public schools.
    Riley delivered a contrasting opinion than his two opponents.
    “I believe in more liberty and less government,” he said. “I’d do very little. I’d like to see the free market work. There are around 1,600 people in West Point who wish Bryan Foods was still going. If the government gave MSU $100 million, it would not have affected this. We need to look for more solutions. I’m more concerned with being a bully in the pulpit for the free market, not how to get more money for MSU.”
    The three candidates agreed that Mississippi should take steps toward utilizing alternative fuels.
    The last question of the debate asked each candidate if they thought the Department of Agriculture had outlived its usefulness, and if its responsibilities should be delegated to universities and the Mississippi Development Authority. All three candidates agreed that it would be a mistake to end the department’s responsibilities.
    “People really don’t know what this job does,” Cole said. “Unless you don’t eat, you don’t need to pay attention to this election. Consumer protection affects everyone. We need an aggressive commissioner to go around the state and let people know how vital this job is.”
    Spell said doing away with the department is a bad idea because it is a local spokesman for the state’s biggest industry.
    “We represent a $6 billion industry,” Spell said. “It means too much for the state to let it go. One-fourth of the jobs in this state are directly and indirectly related to agriculture. If you break up the Department of Agriculture, then you’ll see the largest industry in the state falter and fail.”
    Riley said the people who want to do away with the department would waste the money on other unneeded government outlets.
    In his final remarks, Spell pledged to continue to keep foreign food contaminations out of Mississippi stores and to promote Mississippi products.
    “We’ve seen farms on the rise because of how the Department of Agriculture is taking a leadership roll with putting profitability back into Mississippi,” he said.
    Cole said that he wanted to be visible to the people he serves.
    “We can do so much better. Elections are referendums on the incumbent. If you think things are fine for agriculture and consumer protection, then stick with the incumbent.