Orange Box holds gaming greatness

In Half Life 2 Episode One, the player takes over the game nearly twenty years after the events of the first Half Life game.
    In ‘Half Life 2 Episode One,’ the player takes over the game nearly twenty years after the events of the first ‘Half Life’ game.

It is a rare occurrence for a great video game deal to come along, and recently-released “The Orange Box,” produced published by Valve Corporation is one such deal.On Oct. 10, “The Orange Box” was released for Windows PCs and Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console. The title consists of five games rolled into one package, including “Half-Life 2,” “Half-Life 2: Episode One,” “Half-Life 2: Episode Two,” “Portal” and “Team Fortress 2.”
    Each of the games offers a unique experience that is sure to satisfy hardcore gamers. The original “Half-Life” was considered a surprise hit when it was released, so it’s no surprise then that the sequel and the subsequent expansions have lived up to its legacy.
    While “The Orange Box” offers all three “Half-Life 2” games, the newest is “Episode Two.” Rather than run with “Half-Life 3,” Valve decided to split up the ongoing storyline into three parts. “Episode Two” continues the story of Gordon Freeman as he tries to save the world after it is taken over by an alien force known as the Combine. He tries to undo the damage caused by the Black Mesa Incident, the key event in the original “Half-Life.”
    “Episode Two” offers unique gameplay compared to “Episode One.” This time the player has to focus on open areas rather than traditional linear gameplay.
    Players must deal with trekking across open areas where they might get caught. They must also deal with tactics and choice in order to progress. Probably the best part of “Episode Two” is the puzzles. This game offers the biggest physical puzzle in the series in terms of physical size.
    “Portal” is probably the single-most intriguing puzzle game of the year. It revolves around the player moving around different areas to reach an exit point using a special gun.
    The game centers around a protagonist named Chell. She has to navigate through a series of rooms using the “Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device” (referred to commonly times as the “portal gun”). The gun creates portals that connect together and are used to travel from one point to another. The gun can also help pick up objects from a distance, not unlike the gravity gun from the “Half-Life” series. The game is unique because of the enormity of the puzzles. Because the portals can be created on most surfaces in the game, the entire world can be used to solve a puzzle.
    “Team Fortress 2” is the sequel to the 1998’s “Team Fortress.” The game has been in development for nine years, and is a multiplayer team-based first-person shooter.
    It uses a point system that keeps up with normal and critical hits and kills. The game features nine playable classes to choose from with the possibility of more being added later. Each class has its own unique abilities that make gameplay different every time a player chooses a different class.
    The game has two types of modes to choose from at the moment: Capture the Flag and Control Point. Capture the Flag focuses on moving intelligence briefcases from one base to another. Control Point focuses on which team has the most points at the end of the game. With so many classes to choose from and so many different ways to play the game, “Team Fortress 2” is undeniably one of the best games to come out this year.
    Overall, “The Orange Box” offers so many different gameplay experiences that it is almost impossible for someone to not find something enjoyable. Because the game is priced at $49.95 for the PC, it packs more bang than the average game’s buck.