Red Sox vets will bring home gold

Joey Harvey is a junior majoring in communication. He can be contacted at [email protected].The 2007 World Series won’t feature only one team that is riding a hot streak.
    Sure, everyone is talking about the Rockies. Rockies, this. Rockies, that.
    And rightfully so, because the Black-Vests have won 21 out of their last 22 games, and that’s including playoff wins over Philly and Arizona.
    They certainly are impressive, but nothing impresses me more than a comeback from a 3-1 hole in a Championship Series.
    The Boston Red Sox did it in 2004 against the Yankees, and guess who did it again for the first time since then? Yep, the Red Sox.
    The Sox roster is familiar to those who remember the squad who won it all in 2004, as the team never stopped winning and went on to sweep the Cardinals in the Series.
    Many players have been on the roster for quite some time, and the offensive combination of David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and Kevin Youkilis is simply too much gunpowder for the Rockies’ pitching staff to barrel.
    The Red Sox pitching core alone should be enough for anyone to cheer for the Red Sox this World Series. Not only do Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima take the mound for the Red Sox, but Mississippi State alum Jonathan Papelbon anchors the position in the closing role.
    The Red Sox simply have too many studs to take down. And we all know studs win baseball championships. The only exceptions are the Marlins, who have no studs when they win championships, but also have no fans, and the Yankees, who always have studs but never win championships anymore.
    But take a look at the past few champions: the Cardinals had Albert Pujols and Jim Edmonds, the White Sox had Jermaine Dye, Paul Conerko and Freddy Garcia, and then there’s the Red Sox of ’04.
    I don’t care if the Rockies had won 99 out of their last 100 games, if I can’t name one player off their roster, it doesn’t mean I’m uneducated. It means they’re not going to win.
    When you combine the fact that the Red Sox have more big names than the Rockies with the fact that the Red Sox have already set the precedent for a comeback from being down 3-1 in the ALCS for themselves, there really is no contest as to who will win the Series.
    The Sox won’t let its franchise begin another curse that will go on for a hundred years where fans will look back to 2004 as the last time they won a championship.
    Everyone’s all about the Rockies, and it’s mainly because they’ve never even appeared in the Series. This is their big chance, they’re the hot underdogs of the year, blah blah blah.
    If you can name anyone other than Todd Helton on their roster, then you have a right to pick them to win because I can’t.
    I know for sure that the Red Sox are a much better team than the Rockies (they don’t rely on uniform choice to win), so I’m going with Boston for this series.