City stamps smoking

The Starkville Board of Aldermen voted unanimously at its Oct. 16 meeting to remove the repealing clause for the city’s no-smoking ordinance and make it permanent.The ordinance, which bans smoking at public establishments, was originally approved March 21, 2006 with the stipulation that the ban be lifted if no subsequent action was taken in the next two years. Starkville was the first city in the state to adopt the ban. No citizens spoke up as Starkville Mayor Dan Camp offered opponents of making the ordinance permanent a chance to speak.
    “When we first talked about this as a community … this was not something that was commonplace in Mississippi,” Ward 5 Alderman Matt Cox said. “We were leading the state.” He also mentioned that local establishments had been instrumental in the policy being as successful as it has been since it was adopted.
    Several Mississippi cities have followed suit since the board initially passed the ordinance, including Oxford, Tupelo, Hattiesburg and Greenwood. Ridgeland and Amory also recently approved similar citywide ordinances.
    According to a report in The Commercial Dispatch, Columbus is also considering a no-smoking ordinance.
    Ward 4 Alderman Richard Corey said he was glad to see Starkville’s “sister city” thinking about the change. “I’m really glad to see that this concept is spreading,” Corey said.
    He said he encourages Columbus to do the right thing.
    According to the ordinance, violators of the policy are subject to a fine of up to $50 on first offense and $250 on second and subsequent offenses.
    According to Cox, no citations have been issued since the ordinance took effect last May.
    Before the board voted, City Clerk Markeeta Outlaw read the entire ordinance at the request of Ward 6 Alderman Roy Perkins, who said it was important that the public hear the details of the policy before making it permanent.
    Some MSU students echoed the board’s sentiment.
    “I think secondhand smoke is a real threat to people,” sophomore biological engineering major Weston Smith said. “Just having to go outside to smoke is reasonable. I don’t think it’s so much of a bad thing.”
    Junior elementary education major Kim Taylor agreed with the board’s decision.
    “It keeps restaurants cleaner. When you’re eating, you don’t have to worry about whether or not you’re sitting in a no-smoking area,” she said.