MSU to host state agriculture commissioner debate

The Stennis-Montgomery Association is sponsoring a debate between the three candidates running for state Agriculture and Commerce Commissioner tonight at 7 p.m. at McComas Hall Theatre.The candidates include Democrat Riley Cole, incumbent Republican Commissioner Lester Spell and Constitutional Party candidate P. Leslie Riley Jr.
    Out of the 500 seats in the theater, 200 are open to the public.
    Stennis-Montgomery Association President Lori Holland, will moderate the debate.
    Holland said WTVA anchor and reporter Craig Ford and Starkville Daily News managing editor Brian Hawkins will present questions to the candidates.
    The agriculture and commerce commissioner deals with a number of areas in the state’s agricultural department.
    The Commissioner serves as chairman of the Mississippi Fair Commission, the Mississippi Farmers Market, co-chair of the Land, Water and Timber Resources Board and as a member of the Board of Animal Health.
    “We promote agriculture statewide and help develop new markets for agriculture products throughout the state,” Spell said. “We also have programs that help identify Mississippi agriculture products, along with a big responsibility in food safety by having food inspections.”
    Spell said the debate will give everyone an opportunity to learn more about each candidate to be sure to elect the person most qualified for the position.
    “People should care about the debate because what we do each day protects every Mississippian,” Spell said.
    “Mississippi State is a very important part of agriculture and forestry in Mississippi. Even if students do not choose a profession in agriculture or forestry, they still buy gas and food and they should want to make sure they are getting their money’s worth,” Spell said.
    He said he believes the success of agriculture in the future can open opportunities for students and the university in the years to come.
    Mike Tagert, director in the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce Bureau of Plant Industry, said the outcome of the election has a huge impact on MSU students.
    “Agriculture is Mississippi’s largest industry,” Tagert said. “When students graduate, they are trying to find their place in Mississippi and jobs within their field. It is essentially important to them and their future jobs.
    The agriculture industry is important to them because the economics of Mississippi determines what is available for them in their job market.”
    “This election is important to every resident of Mississippi, because this office protects food safety and the pocket books of every Mississippian,” Spell said.
    Mississippi citizens will have a chance to vote in the state elections Nov. 6.