Bands team up with Rick’s to raise money for animal sanctuary

The exotic animals at Cedarhill Animal Sanctuary in Caledonia received a gift Friday night. Their likenesses were given special attention at Rick’s Café. The bands Young Agent Jones and The Alta Street Blues Band were the night’s entertainment, and door proceeds went to the shelter’s cause.”Sarah Miller [publicist for the animal sanctuary] called me and asked if they could do a benefit here,” owner of Rick’s Café, Rick Welch said. “I toured the the place and was really impressed.”
    Founded in 1990 by C. Kay McElroy, Cedarhill was set up as a safe haven for endangered, exotic animals from around the world. The sanctuary has always been primarily focused on large felines, such as tigers and cougars, with more than 300 inhabitants.
    The animals, mostly suffering from injuries and malnutrition, are brought to the shelter, nursed back to health and then given a peaceful life away from public eyes.
    Some of the donations from the night’s event are for a project designed in part by MSU’s landscape architecture department. It’s an enclosure for Phoebe, one of the sanctuary’s tigers, who Welch says is a “sweetheart.”
    “She is mostly blind, and she’s what this money tonight is going for,” Welch said.
    The enclosure has pools for the animals to swim in, and many shaded areas for them to relax.
    Miller said the exotic animal trade is more rampant in the United States than many people might think.
    “The exotic animal trade is second only to guns and drugs and elicit activity in the U.S.,” Miller said. “It’s a multi-billion dollar industry.”
    Miller said it is important to get young people involved and educated on combatting the exotic animal trade and aiding in the help that the shelter is providing.
    One of the bands to help out was Starkville’s own Young Agent Jones. Not a stranger to benefits, the band uses its music to push forth worthy causes, having played at concerts for Hurricane Katrina victims and St. Jude’s Hospital.
    Consisting of Ben Hodge on bass, Jason Jones and Todd Rowan on guitar, Mike Yeager on drums and all on vocals the group blends the hypnotic riffs of rock ‘n’ roll with the upbeat style of powerpop. Adding compelling lyrics like on the song “Lie Detector,” massive four part harmonies and perform an electrifying live show; Young Agent Jones is able to entertain the entire room, pleasing everyone who lets the appealing sound drip into their ears.
    The Alta Street Blues Band is a modern blues band, compiling The White Stripes-esque elements with traditional blues and powerful guitars.
    The group is made up of Eric Small on vocals and lead guitar, John Rowlett on bass and harmonica, Jonathan Little on lead guitar and James Shepherd on drums.
    The band’s sound is drenched in the traditional sounds of the South, with the heightened tones of heavier, more conventional elements.
    The band drove from Jonesboro, Ark., just to play for the event.
    Miller is impressed with the bands involvement and is thankful for their performances, using their music to attract notice to Cedarhill.
    “These bands are awesome for doing what they are doing,” Miller said.