Blue Mountain reunited at Dave’s

Thursday night at Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern will be a night to remember for music fans in Starkville. Among the flowing beer and classic pizzas, the legendary Mississippi trio Blue Mountain will be performing. Considered to be a reunion tour after its disbandment in 2001, the group has already played several gigs in its home state, some shows in Tennessee, and it plans on playing in Louisiana.The Tavern has been preparing for the band’s return.
    “When word started spreading that Blue Mountain was getting back together, I started receiving a lot of phone calls and e-mails. There is a definite buzz amongst their fans,” Tavern owner Dave Hood said. “Cary Hudson has played at the tavern several times after Blue Mountain broke up. As a solo artist he was fantastic and could easily rock the stage until close.”
    The band formed in 1991 in Oxford, consisting of husband Cary Hudson and wife Laurie Stirratt. Accompanied with drummer Matt Brennan, Blue Mountain released its self-titled debut album on 4-Barrel records. With a new drummer, Frank Coutch, the band released the album Dog Days under the popular independent label Roadrunner Records.
    Blue Mountain blends rock with country; a sound that causes chills and, for some, an adrenaline rush. The live experience only contributes to the group’s natural ability to entertain an audience, with Hudson’s showmanship and intriguing vocals.
    “It’s feel-good music, but in a country way,” freshman art major Sara Renfroe said.
    The band’s sound could be described as a fusion of Bob Dylan’s songwriting with the music of rock contemporaries like Wilco. Songs like “Bloody 98” show how the gang is able to combine styles that are almost completely opposite, and sync them together to create something that is left-of-center. Edge is something that Blue Mountain is not without, either. “A Band Called Bud” highlights a more rock-oriented presentation, dripping with melodic riffs and garage-esque appeal.
    Hudson is known for playing songs on his Gibson Les Paul, which is considered his favorite guitar.
    “They have an awesome sound, and Cary’s guitar may be my favorite,” Hood says.
    According to the band’s biography, Frank Coutch, Hudson and Stirratt created original songs written in a traditional spirit, but with the hard edge of rock ‘n’ roll. An early example is “Jimmy Carter,” a fan favorite.
    The group disbanded in 2001 after recording the live album Tonight It’s Now or Never in Chicago. The show was classic Mountain, with high energy and pure rock ‘n’ roll, a compelling farewell to fans. However, now that they have come back together, fans are ecstatic.
    “The reunion of Blue Mountain is awesome because they are an important band in Mississippi music, and should be heard by all,” Renfroe said.