Editorial: Coach Croom shows character, persistence

Perhaps many people didn’t take Coach Sylvester Croom seriously when he told a couple of his senior players that a bowl bid was possible this year. But after Croom’s team defeated three ranked programs and won a thrilling Egg Bowl game this season, his words have never seemed more credible. Three and a half years ago, Croom came to MSU during a rocky time. He took control of the football program after three consecutive losing seasons, the firing of former Coach Jackie Sherrill and NCAA-imposed recruiting and scholarship limits. Croom’s three losing seasons as head coach didn’t set well with many fans, and a couple of narrow losses last season only increased the distress for everyone. Despite all of this pressure, Croom handled endless criticism in a mature way, something that not everyone on this campus can do.
    During an after-game interview at the Egg Bowl, Croom’s emotional response to a reporter showed he finally knew he had lived up to the enormous expectations. His response also showed his genuine care and pride for his players.
    Croom’s humble emotion undoubtedly surprised many long-time football viewers. Rarely do you see a head coach behave so transparently. The display characterized Croom’s more personal approach to coaching college football in general.
    Sure, most coaches display noticeable concern and respect for their players. But something about Croom is different. His connection to the players is even closer, seemingly more authentic.
    We think college football could benefit from more down-to-earth coaches. That is why we believe Croom is not only the SEC coach of the year, but also the NCAA coach of the year. He didn’t win as many games as numerous other coaches in the nation, but not many expected this much improvement from the Bulldogs in a tough and unpredictable SEC season. And one could have made the argument that Croom had been too soft in certain situations. Yet his distinct style of coaching paid off in a 7-5 season with a very real bowl game opportunity.
    Lastly, credit should also go to the team. With the exception of quarterback Wesley Carroll, who has done an impressive job in his own right, the players aren’t new. They have finally gelled together effectively, and we congratulate the team on its first bowl bid since 2000.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Matt Watson, news editor Erin Kourkounis, sports editor Melissa Meador, entertainment editor David Breland, photo editor Bud Sorey, online editor C.J. LeMaster, managing editor Nathan Gregory and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.