Candidates compete in elections

Elections for Student Association executive council began today at 7:30 a.m. and will last until 6 p.m. This year’s polling locations are Allen Hall and Mitchell Memorial Library.SA election commissioner Stuart Tirey said Perry Cafeteria is not a polling location as it was last year because Allen Hall is more central on campus.
    “Last year, [the election] didn’t turn out as well as we thought it would because the cafeteria is not a central location,” Tirey said. “Many students’ classes are on the Drill Field, so more people are likely to vote there.”
    Three positions are unopposed, and there is a race between two candidates for the position of SA president.
    The position of treasurer will not be appointed in today’s elections because, out of the three candidates running, one dropped out of the race and the other two were declared ineligible to run because they did not meet the requirements of the position.
    Sophomore business major Braxton Coombs is running for attorney general, sophomore undeclared major Caroline Adams is running for vice president and senior communication major Nicole Wyatt is running for secretary.
    The presidential race is between and senior chemical engineering major Jeremy Johnson and junior political science major Aaron Rice.
    Students will also have the chance to vote “pass or fail” on an SA Senate bill that will call for a third permanent seat on the Senate for graduate students.
    Tirey said last year’s turnout at the polls will be difficult to beat, especially since most of this year’s candidates are running unopposed. He said, however, that he hopes that the number of voters will increase from last year.
    Election results will be revealed tonight outside Herbert Hall after the votes are counted.