Templeton: Is he leaving for a good reason

The MSU administration will be letting Larry Templeton go next year, and we hope that there is a good reason behind this decision.Templeton has been MSU’s athletic director for 20 years, and our athletics have improved after those two decades. Templeton has been criticized as obstinate by many people. However, this trait also allows him to stay focused and get things done. In other words, he has successfully disregarded people’s attitudes to concentrate on MSU athletics.
    It should be noted that MSU’s athletics have improved even though the university receives the least amount of money in the Southeastern Conference for its athletics program. In particular, Templeton has helped the football program tremendously, albeit at the expense of less popular sports. He brought Jackie Sherrill to MSU, who won more games than any other MSU football coach in the university’s history. Then Templeton made history by hiring Sylvester Croom, the first black coach in the SEC. Unfortunately, we feel that Templeton hasn’t helped Croom’s stay here with the difficult schedules, especially with the decision to play LSU first next season.
    Hopefully, this decision to allow Templeton to stay for only one more year isn’t stemming from a power struggle. Many administrative positions have changed since President Robert “Doc” Foglesong became president. There could very well be a good reason for letting Templeton go, and if this is true, then the administration should make this explanation public. Unfortunately, this may be asking for too much because Foglesong was a secret candidate for the presidency despite many criticisms and complaints.
    Furthermore, we believe it’s extremely important for the administration to find a suitable replacement, someone who will only improve what Templeton built. If we don’t get a proper person for the job, this may anger MSU alumni, meaning less money for the university.
    Ultimately, we suggest two things for the administration to consider. Let everyone know why Templeton is leaving, and make sure to find an excellent replacement. Otherwise, MSU athletics, fans, students and alumni will catch the brunt of his departure.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor Nathan Gregory, assistant news editor Erin Kourkounis, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, photo editor Bud Sorey, online editor Jocelyn Marcus, managing editor Sara McAdory and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.