North Mississippi Allstars hit Rick’s Cafe

The North Mississippi Allstars are once again visiting Rick’s Caf tonight and will be accompanied by Good Paper, the four-piece blues/rock group that has appeared at Whiskey Blues or Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern a time or two.Good Paper (originally Don’s Chuck Wagon and then Moose Pass), consisting of Rob Mortimer (vocals/guitar), Scott Doler (bass), Lucas Leigh (keys) and Jeremy Ward (drums) will perform first and then set the stage for the Allstars.
    The members of the Allstars have now reached their 30s – a relatively young band which has already achieved success and recognition by both its fans and other music groups. Sometimes described as “world boogie,” NMA have done just this – and much more.
    Brothers Luther (guitar/vocals) and Cody Dickinson (drums/vocals) met bassist Chris Chew in 1991 at their middle school in Hernando, with their first gig at Chew’s homecoming dance. Since that time, they’ve been jamming throughout the country in addition to a tour in Europe and have been nominated for two Grammy awards for “Best Contemporary Blues Album.”
    “It’s a great feeling to always know what I’ve wanted to do,” Luther Dickinson said. “I’ve always known I wanted to be a musician.”
    As children, the two NMA brothers were constantly around a wide range of musicians and artists who worked with their father, long-time musician/producer Jim Dickinson, including Aretha Franklin, The Replacements and The Rolling Stones.
    The Allstars have released six full-length albums not including “The Word,” for which they teamed up with Robert Randolph and John Medeski (Medeski, Martin and Wood) in 1998. After meeting each other, Medeski and Luther Dickinson went for a drive and discussed doing a project together. Speaking with confidence, Luther Dickinson said it was “just one of those things that was meant to be.”
    “John is such a cool dude – super smart and really hip,” Luther Dickinson said. “I would say that MMW are pioneers of the jam band circuit.”
    The Allstars’ sound is usually depicted as blues-infused rock ‘n’ roll, but what really makes their style stand apart is the gospel aspect that’s included. Chew’s roots in gospel music sprouted at an early age as his father played the guitar and sang during church.
    “The heart of our uniqueness comes from the gospel that Chris brought to us,” Luther Dickinson said.
    The psychedelic Southern-rock era also has an influence on the Allstars, including Jimi Hendrix and The Allman Brothers. “Hill-Country Music,” as Luther Dickinson put it, which legendary singer/songwriter R.L. Burnside is most associated with, also reflects their distinctive sound. Duwayne Burnside, son of the well-known blues musician, formerly played second guitar in NMA, but Luther Dickinson said he thought that Duwayne Burnside was burnt out after two years on the road and dropped out around the time that the European tour was introduced.
    The Allstars never set out to be included in the “jam-band scene,” but they’re certainly not complaining now.
    “It was just the coolest thing,” Luther Dickinson said. “The bands themselves actually embraced us and welcomed us in. We’ve felt honored to be included.”
    Aside from his busy life as one of the Allstars, Luther Dickinson enjoys spending time with his family and friends, which include his wife and two dogs – a Labrador retriever and a beagle. He also hopes that at some point he’ll get to play alongside the Beastie Boys.
    As for Luther Dickinson’s words of wisdom: “Don’t eat fast food. It’s bad for you.