Jeremy Johnson

One of Jeremy Johnson’s top priorities if he is elected Student Association president Tuesday will be to gather student input and bring the ideas of the student body to the city of Starkville. “My first obligation would be to find out what the students need and want and take that to the city and see what the city can do in order to fulfill students’ needs,” he said.
    Currently serving as president of the Black Student Alliance and SA administrative liason, Johnson plans to use his leadership experience to improve upon the progress that has already been made this year.
    He feels the university’s relationship with the city is already strong and plans to maintain constant communication with the city.
    “[Starkville mayor] Dan Camp has done a great job of communicating with [current SA president] J.R. Love and the SA about the things that are going on, but I think right now things are very good … We just have to build on those things,” he said.
    Some of Johnson’s plans include establishing an institute programming council, improving student relationships with the MSU administration and increasing student involvement in activity planning.
    He also wants to establish a diversity council on campus.
    “What [the council] would do is bring all the minority organization presidents together and give them a chance to have open dialogue, talk about issues, collaborate on various programs and bring various speakers so the minority and international voice can be a bit stronger and heard by more people,” Johnson said.
    Johnson has a laundry list of leadership positions. Along with serving as president of BSA for two years, he is also the president of his fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha. He has also been an orientation leader, a vice president for residence hall activities, a resident assistant, a counselor, a math tutor and a conference chair for the Mississippi Association of Residence Hall Students.
    A native of Vicksburg, Johnson is a senior chemical engineering major. He has been recognized as a Dave C. Swalm school of chemical engineering scholar. He is an inductee of the Order of Omega Greek Hall of Fame, as well as the recipient of the 2005-2006 Greek Man of the Year award. He was also recognized as the 2003-2004 Residence Hall Association Delegate of the Year.
    His long term goals are to stay in Starkville and continue his post-graduate education.
    “I love this school,” Johnson said. “My ultimate goal is to get my doctorate in chemical engineering and become a college professor. State is my No. 1 choice for graduate school.