Crowder closes out Beans and Notes music series

The Campus Activities Board will host indie musician Corey Crowder tonight at 7 p.m. The concert will be the last in CAB’s Beans and Notes series. Crowder’s accomplishments include having songs featured on MTV’s “The Real World.”
    Crowder’s style is “a unique blend of folk, jazz and country,” CAB member Patrick Young said. “I would say [Crowder] is comparable to James Taylor, John Mayer and a very smooth Norah Jones feel. [He] has the guitar stylings of a John Mayer or James Taylor.”
    According to his Web site, Crowder’s musical stylings are due largely to his Southern childhood in Georgia. Crowder released his first album in 2003, titled Certain Starlights and Fleeting Daybreaks.
    His sophomore album, Learning to Let Go-Home Recordings is an acoustic album. It was from that album that MTV selected music for “The Real World.” CAB discovered Crowder by chance on the Internet. “One of the committee members on CAB was going through MySpace, and he was one of the top independent artists (on the site],” Young said. “Everyone listened to his music and enjoyed it.” Crowder currently has 1 million hits on MySpace and his music has been played 3 million times. CAB feels that Crowder will bring a style to Mississippi State that students haven’t seen before.
    “A combination of indie and folk isn’t something you see too often,” Young said. “He’s got a beautiful voice, very soulful. He definitely has potential for shooting up the charts soon.”
    This concert will be students’ last chance to check out the Beans and Notes series, the laidback concert sequence that CAB has presented throughout the year.
    The series’ success has surpassed CAB’s expectations. “It went extremely well,” Young said. “The attendance was the highest it’s been in the past three to five years.”
    “We’ve had all different types of music. Since the Union closed, we’ve had to move it off campus to Strangebrew, the Grill, and Mugshots. We were very proud it could survive off campus, and the community really helped to support the concert series. Hopefully next year we can move back into the Union and have a permanent home.”
    The last several shows have taken place in the campus Barnes & Noble. “Barnes and Noble has been extremely supportive financially and location wise,” Young said. “They’ve helped us bring artists that we probably wouldn’t have been able to have brought if they hadn’t provided the sound and lighting and stuff.