Explosion’s ‘Sudden’ bursts to mainstream status

Texan post-rockers Explosions in the Sky display an obvious talent few other modern rock bands have been able to match: The ability to compose emotionally gripping and powerful music without the use of lyrics.This unique craft is exhibited to near perfection on All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, the instrumental group’s first full-length album in three years.
    The Austin-based quartet is best known in the mainstream for their contributions to the soundtrack for the 2004 film Friday Night Lights.
    Clocking in at just less than 44 minutes, Everyone captures the group at its most mature and dynamic. The group has done little to change its trademark sound, but little change was needed.
    “The Birth and Death of the Day” kicks the six-song album off in grandiose fashion. The bombastic and instantly recognizable guitar assault of Munaf Rayani and Mark Smith makes for an album opener that can’t be ignored. The group proves its complete mastery of the crescendo in “Welcome, Ghosts.” Percussionist Chris Hranksy artfully anchors his surroundings by delivering a barrage of driving, simplistic rhythms and disappearing behind the rest of the ensemble during periods of soft, piano-driven melodies.
    Clocking in at 13 minutes, 27 seconds, “It’s Natural to be Afraid” is the album’s centerpiece reminiscent of the group’s 2003 release The World is not a Cold Dead Place.
    Despite the lengthiness of the composition, Explosions in the Sky hardly overstay their welcome; nor do they resort to flashy guitar solos or overly technical drumming. They simply know how to command the undivided attention of the listener for extended periods of time. The result in this case is a masterpiece. “It’s Natural to be Afraid” needs to be heard on headphones to be believed.
    “What Do You Go Home To?” is a moody, mainly piano-dominated afterthought. Simplicity is the main key to the beauty of this song and to the underground success of the band.
    The album closes out with “Catastrophe and the Cure” and “So Long, Lonesome.” “Catastrophe and the Cure” is almost a constant crescendo building towards the climax of the album. Hransky’s powerful drumming once again takes center stage while somehow refraining from detracting attention from the other instruments. Once the song reaches its peak, the entire band proves it is nothing short of a well-oiled machine after eight years of working together. “So Long, Lonesome” is a brief but tasteful ending to the album.
    At the end of the day, it’s hard to decide whether or not to be surprised by what Explosions in the Sky offers on their latest album. Some will be quick to call it their best release yet, while long-time fans of the group won’t be surprised by its quality because they know the band can make great albums. It’s something they’ve come to expect from one of the best instrumental rock outfits in the country. Either way, it’s one of this year’s best rock albums you’ll never hear. One suggestion: If you get your hands on this one, play it loud.
    4.5/5 stars