2007-2008 Reflector editorial staff steps in

As the semester winds down, the new Reflector staff is taking charge and planning ahead for next year. Junior communication major Tyler Stewart remains editor in chief for a second year. He is the first person at MSU since 1987 to serve two consecutive years in the position.
    Stewart is looking forward to seeing what the new staff will bring to The Reflector in the upcoming school year.
    “We have a very talented and intelligent staff,” Stewart said. “I think they will represent the students well.”
    Former news editor Nathan Gregory, a junior communication major, is serving as managing editor for the upcoming year.
    Along with his task of managing the editorial staff, he said he wants to focus on building the writing staff.
    “My emphasis will be to recruit more writers for every section,” Gregory said. “I plan to start by speaking to news writing classes in the Communication Department. We need more reporters, and I hope to find some people to fit the bill.”
    He said he will miss last year’s staff but believes the incoming staff will improve upon the success the previous editors achieved.
    Sophomore communication major Erin Kourkounis is replacing Gregory as news editor. She previously served as assistant news editor.
    “I hope the news section will continue to be as prominent as it has been this semester,” Kourkounis said. “I am anxious about my new position, but I am confident that I will adapt quickly.”
    Former sports reporter Melissa Meador, a senior communication major, is taking over as assistant news editor. She said she hopes to maintain the efficiency and up-to-date coverage that Gregory and Kourkounis established this semester.
    Senior communication major Jonathan Brown, former sports writer, is serving as sports editor.
    Brown hopes to make the sports section one of the more popular sections by covering a broad spectrum of sports.
    “The challenge to make the sports section better can be handled with more coverage,” Brown said.
    Sophomore communication major Matt Watson is replacing long-time opinion editor Jed Pressgrove.
    “I just want to follow in Jed’s footsteps efficiently,” Watson said. “I think it’s going to be a great experience, and I’m really looking forward to it.”
    Former opinion writer David Breland, a sophomore political science major, is the new entertainment editor.
    Jocelyn Marcus, a junior English major, will continue to serve as online editor for the remainder of the semester. Junior communication major Bud Sorey will remain on the staff as photography editor.
    The new editors face the challenge of replacing a staff that earned an award earlier this semester for Best College Newspaper in the South at the Southeast Journalism Conference.
    Four editions remain for the 2007 spring semester before the staff adjourns for the summer. A summer issue will be published in June for students attending orientation during that time.