MSU earns first place at track invite

The men’s and women’s track teams swept first-place honors at Saturday’s Bulldog Invitational at the W.O. Spencer Stadium/Carl Maddox Track. The women’s team registered 228 points total on the day, while the men’s team registered 249.
    The Bulldogs won 11 events on the day.
    Head coach Steve Dudley and the men’s track team took home top honors in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, 1,500-meter run, 800-meter run and the 400-meter dash and hurdles.
    Coach Al Schmidt’s Lady Bulldogs notched wins in the 400-meter dash, 200-meter dash, 100-meter hurdles and the triple jump.
    The women’s 1,600 relay team was also victorious.
    Freshman Wendy Copeland posted her first NCAA regional qualifying mark in the long jump competition with her jump of 19 feet, nine and three-quarters inches.
    Senior Nicola Wilson notched another qualifying mark in the shot put with a toss of 47-7 3/4. Christina Hernandez posted her second regional qualifying mark with her throw of 156-1 in the discus.
    Freshman Daniel Simpkins claimed first-place honors in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase with his time of nine minutes, 50.32 seconds.
    Junior Jonathan Rono took home the win in the 1,500-meter run, notching a time of 3:57.84.
    Freshman Demetrius Cobbins registered his personal best time in the long jump with a score of 22-5.
    In the men’s 400-meter run, the Bulldogs claimed the top four spots, while senior all-American Ezra Jones claimed first place honors with a time of 47.54.
    On the women’s side, sophomore Gabrielle Dillon had a successful day, claiming first-place honors in the 200-meter dash and second place in the 100-meter dash.
    Freshman Marrissa Harris claimed the win in the 100-meter hurdles, posting a time of 13.96 seconds.
    “It was a good weekend,” Schmidt said. “The wind was a bit tough today for the sprints, but anytime you get NCAA qualifiers, it’s a good day, and we won the event, which makes it even better.”
    Both teams next hit the track April 4, when they travel to the four-day Texas Relays in Austin, Texas.