‘Happyness’ author scheduled to speak on campus

Chris Gardner, the inspiration for the movie “The Pursuit of Happyness,” will speak at Humphrey Coliseum Monday.The MSU chapter of Delta Gamma sorority is sponsoring the event as part of the Dorothy Garrett Martin Lectureship in Values and Ethics Foundation. Other sponsors include Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and Campus Activities Board.
    Paula Raffo, adviser for the Lectureship in Values and Ethics Foundation, said the sponsors asked Gardner to speak at MSU because they wanted to bring in someone who can inspire and motivate students.
    “It’s the message to never give up, that you never give up on your goals no matter what your obstacles are, and this man had many obstacles,” Raffo said. “You deal with it and you keep on. And he stayed true to himself throughout the whole ordeal.”
    Delta Gamma member Catie McCullen said she was excited to host Christopher Gardner because he is such a role model.
    “He put his son first. Even though he had a lot of obstacles, he had a lot of integrity, and he still does,” McCullen said.
    Delta Gamma president Emily Roberts said Gardner’s life story is one full of obstacles and extraordinary achievements. His inspiring story is the main reason the sponsors wanted him to speak at MSU, she said.
    Advisory team chairman Luann Purnell said a question and answer session at Barnes & Noble will follow the lecture. The bookstore will have 150 paperback and 100 hardback copies of Gardner’s book available to purchase signed by Gardner, she said.
    The sponsors will provide a showing of “The Pursuit of Happyness” Sunday in the Lee Hall Auditorium at 7 p.m. with free admission, said lectureship advisor Jessica Hubbard.
    Delta Gamma’s director for special events Jamie Hurdle said the Lectureship was established in 2003 by donations to the university totaling $100,000. This is the largest donation from a campus group in the history of MSU, Hurdle said.
    The group tries to host an event biannually, and its last speaker was animal planet star Jeff Corwin two years ago. Hurdle said this event is open to students and the general public.