Web Exclusive: Offense improving as spring stretches on

Last season, Mississippi State football fans saw the offense struggle to start the season, flourish, and then stall down the stretch. But as the Bulldog offense goes through its second week of spring practice, the unit is working hard to improve its production from a season ago in which the unit ranked near the bottom in the SEC in total offense. MSU offensive coordinator Woody McCorvey sees improvement in the offense but feels there is still room to get better.
    “So far this spring, we’re getting better. In our last scrimmage we did some real good things,” he said.
    In the last scrimmage, the unit racked up 632 total yards on offense and scored six touchdowns in the game. However, McCorvey stressed that the unit needed to start stronger.
    “What I didn’t like about the scrimmage is how we started,” he said. “Every time we snap the football, we have to come out and start fast, not just finish strong.”
    McCorvey said the key going into spring practice this season is improving on the running game. With the loss of running back Jerious Norwood and some injuries, the unit struggle to run the ball effectively last season. State ranked last in the SEC in rushing at a mere 95 yards per game.
    Coming into this season however, the running game should be able to produce more yardage on the ground than a year ago. Sophomore running back Anthony Dixon is receiving praises from the MSU head coach Sylvester Croom, as well as McCorvey.
    “Dixon ran the ball well,” Croom said after the team’s first scrimmage. “That was a strong point for us today. He’s practiced well, and he looked good today.”
    In the scrimmage Dixon ran the ball 18 times for 143 yards. Dixon broke a 67-yard touchdown and found the endzone again on the following series.
    The unit also has depth at tailback with sophomore Christian Ducre and touted incoming freshman Robert Elliot. McCorvey feels depth at running back is key within the West Coast Offense, with ideally would like to run the football about 60 percent of the game.
    “We’re going to need all these guys playing in this league,” McCorvey said. “At some point someone is bound to go down. Everyone was a chance to play, and when the opportunity comes, they have to stand up and take it.”
    Unlike a season ago, many questions on offense have answers. The unit returns a veteran offensive line, and quarterback Michael Henig is in his fourth year in the offense. Henig, who had a pair of surgeries on the collarbone he broke during the season opener against South Carolina, then fractured the bone again later in the season against Arkansas, is back at full strength and ready to go.
    “Mike has no problem. He was shown he can throw the football,” McCorvey said. “Where we’re at now, is trying to get him to be more patient to make the throws, and if it’s not there be able to dump the ball underneath.”
    Henig should have more time to throw the ball this season, as four of the five starters along the offensive line return from a season ago. Right tackle Brian Anderson left the Bulldog squad due to graduation. J.D. Hamilton has been moved from left tackle to right tackle to make room for Florida transfer Mike Brown. Brown who played in the last five weeks of the season bolstered State’s offensive line down the stretch. McCorvey points out that Brown’s strength is pass protection and by adding him to the starting lineup will hopefully help to keep State’s signal caller upright.
    State also has talent at the wide receiver position. Senior wide-out Tony Burks returns from his impressive debut season. Burks, who had 850 yards and five touchdowns a year ago, is a true threat to stretch the field for the Bulldogs.
    “With Jamayel Smith and Tony Burks on the outside, those guys have played a lot of football,” McCorvey said. “They bring a lot of experience to this offense, and they definitely make things a little easier.”
    State will continue spring practice for the next week and will cap off the spring with the annual Maroon-White game on March 31.