New Dining in Starkville

The MSU campus wasn’t the only place to see construction over the holiday break. Starkville got a jolt of new business, particularly in the dining industry, over the season. Starkville residents and students can take a trip around the taste spectrum, whether they want a traditional deli-style experience (from two new businesses), a trip to Italy, a tropical atmosphere or some Tex-Mex chow to fill their bellies. Here’s a short guide to the newest of restaurants to hit the streets of Starkvegas, Mississippi:
    Up Your Alley
    Up Your Alley Tamales and Margaritas recently arrived in the Cotton District, providing students and Starkville residents with a new spot to quench their thirst, have a bite to eat or just hang out and enjoy the atmosphere. The bright, colorful d?cor and friendly environment aspire to transport those who enter away from the stress of work or class and off to a tropical paradise where Jimmy Buffett himself would feel at home. Up Your Alley is the brainchild of Starkville’s own Robert Camp and MSU graduate John Fontane.
    “We are a tamale and margarita/daiquiri bar,” Camp said. “We’ve got Mississippi Delta Tamales that we brought in to kind of get a Key West or New Orleans type of flavor. The customers can expect prompt service. We want to keep them happy and enjoying themselves.”
    The menu also includes a variety of margarita and daiquiri flavors.
    Up your Alley Tamales and Margaritas is located on University Drive just past Bulldog Deli on the right. The neon palm trees on either side of the door make it hard to miss.
    “We want to make the atmosphere an enjoyable atmosphere and make the customer feel like they’re not in Starkville,” Camp said. “We want them to feel like they’re down at the beach in Key West.”
    Bin 612
    The Cotton District is now home to Bin 612, a restaurant which sets out to provide its customers with an authentic Italian dining experience and pleasant atmosphere. Bin 612 is owned by local attorney Bryan Kelly and chef Ty Thames.
    “Ty actually graduated from the New England Culinary Institute, a prestigious culinary school in Vermont,” Kelly said. “He graduated No. 1 in his class, then he went to Italy and cooked for a year in a region over there called Parma, Italy, so most of the dishes we have are dishes he learned to cook or specialize in while he was in Italy.”
    Thames came back to the States and was a chef at the Ritz Carlton in Washington, D.C.
    Bin 612 aspires to have excellent service to match its menu.
    “(The customers) should expect very attentive service.” Kelly said. “Our servers are going to know about wine.”
    Wine is another of Bin 612’s point of pride.
    “We have a very extensive wine collection, which is where the name comes from. Bin is a reference to a wine bin which is where wine is stored and 612 is our address on University Drive,” Kelly said.
    McAlister’s
    McAlister’s Deli has arrived in Starkville. The region-wide deli franchise opened its Starkville establishment Monday. McAlister’s provides Starkville residents with a quick, casual dining experience.
    “[We specialize in] sandwiches, salads and potatoes,” owner Matthew Bedwell said. “Our sweet tea is one of our big name items. Everyone knows us because of our sweet tea. That’s one of our specialties.”
    “We have sandwiches that we call our signature sandwiches,” he said. “We also have appetizers and desserts; big food.”
    Bedwell said the franchise has been anticipating its stay in Bulldog country.
    “Starkville was one of the last untapped markets for us in the state of Mississippi with it being a college market that we hadn’t entered yet,” Bedwell said, “so we had been looking for a place for two years.”
    After the initial ordering of a meal at the counter, McAlister’s treats its customers as if it were a full service restaurant.
    “They don’t really need to get up from the table for anything,” Bedwell said.
    McAlister’s servers are paid full wages and tips are not expected, but any tips McAlister’s does receive are donated to various charities. The Starkville McAlister’s first charity will be Habitat for Humanity.
    McAlister’s is located on Russell Street in the La Galerie Shopping Center.
    Chili’s
    Chili’s recently arrived in Starkville. Chili’s is a well-known, worldwide restaurant franchise that seeks to provide its customers with a fun, exciting, Southwestern-style casual dining experience according to manager John Windsor.
    “We specialize in ‘Tex-Mex food.'” Windsor said. “We have fajitas, burgers, quesadillas, any kind of grilled chicken you want, and we specialize in margaritas. We’re a margarita bar and we have all kinds of margaritas.”
    Chili’s’ selection of margaritas includes the Presidente, El Nino, 3Gs and Blue Pacific.
    The restaurant’s bright, colorful atmosphere has a distinctive Southwestern flavor to it as well.
    Starkville’s Chili’s intends to provide the same great service the franchise has provided in its 30-year history.
    “(The customers can expect) excellent service,” Windsor said. “We pride ourselves in having knowledgeable people that are outgoing and attentive to everybody. We brought in trainers from all over the United States to train our staff.”
    The Starkville Chili’s is the first to open in a franchise aspiration to open 100 new establishments over the next five years.
    Chili’s is located on Miss. Highway 12 next to Mexico Tipico.
    Sweet Pepper’s
    A new deli-style sandwich shop recently arrived on the scene in Starkville. Sweet Pepper’s deli provides students and residents with a convenient, quick lunch that’s a cut above fast food, general manager and MSU alum Eric Dawson said.
    “The customers can expect top notch service,” Dawson said. “You order at the counter, and we have servers that bring the food out and take care of all your other needs, like refilling drinks, bringing napkins and ordering desserts or any other items they need. So it’s counter order with full service, kind of a hybrid between Applebee’s and McDonalds.”
    Sweet Pepper’s’ menu provides an alternative to fast food as well.
    “We specialize mostly in sandwiches, but we have great stuffed potatoes and salads,” Dawson said.
    Location should be a major draw point for Sweet Pepper’s, as they are on Miss. Highway 12 directly beside Wal-Mart.
    “Part of the reason we were drawn to Starkville was this location,” Dawson said. “It’s a good location, this side of town is not well-served yet by restaurants,” Dawson said.