XM Satellite Radio offers ski high music options

With the world of video technology increasingly becoming hi-def, it stands to reason that the audio world of radio would soon follow suit.
    Enter XM Radio.
    Founded in 1992, XM Radio has quickly jumped to the forefront of satellite radio and, boasting a subscriber base of over 6 million customers, shows no sign of slowing down.
    So what exactly entices 6 million customers to plop down cash every month?
    For starters, every music station is 100 percent commercial free. With 67 dedicated music channels (each channel offering dedicated access to a genre or era) and a playlist of over 2 million songs, chances are you will find what you like fairly quickly. There are also 30 channels of news, talk, sports and entertainment. Combined with the 21 instant weather and traffic channels, that brings the station total to 160 channels.
    But what exactly is on these channels that makes them worth paying for?
    XM prides itself on offering exclusive celebrity programming from the likes of Ellen Degeneres, Snoop Dogg and Tom Petty. They also court shock jocks Opie & Anthony (XM’s answer to Howard Stern on Sirius Radio, its competitor).
    In the field of sports, XM offers exclusive access to Major League Baseball and NASCAR programming, as well as college athletics from the ACC, PAC-10 and Big Ten.
    In addition to regular exclusive content, XM also exclusively hosts premier programming such as the upcoming Grammy’s and live concerts.
    Another advantage of satellite radio is that, since it’s a paid service, it’s not censored by the FCC. The comedy channels that air stand-up routines are completely uncut, and the music stays untouched on most stations.
    Being subscriber-based instead of depending on advertising for revenue means that satellite radio companies pay more attention to the customer than terrestrial radio. This allows for more call-in shows and more song requests.
    There is a common misconception that you can only listen to XM in your car.
    This isn’t true. XM offers an array of products from companies like Pioneer and Delphi that allow you to listen to your XM service anywhere you want. From portable car kits (which you can detach from your dashboard and insert in a variety of home stereo “docks”) to standalone stereos to iPod-style handheld radios, XM offers options for almost any situation.
    It doesn’t end there. In a recent addition, XM Radio also gives users the ability to log into the XM Web site with their account and listen to broadcasts via PC.
    Yet, like any new technology, there are downsides to satellite radio.
    First is equipment. While it is a one-time thing, you still have to buy the receiver, antenna and, if you want to listen in your home, a stereo dock all on top of the monthly fee. Luckily XM Radio has been around long enough that the prices on the equipment have come down drastically from a few years ago.
    Also, since the broadcasts come from three orbiting satellites, this means that a line-of-sight blockage (such as a tall building or going under a portico) can hinder or completely cut out the audio signal.
    To combat this, XM is constantly updating its repeater network. This network consists of numerous ground-based antennas that take the signal and repeat it on a more terrestrial level, allowing for the ability to listen in out-of-the-way places. As the XM subscriber base gets bigger, so does the repeater network.
    These problems, however, are a lot less prevalent than they were at the start of the service.
    So what’s in store for satellite radio in the future?
    In March of this year, XM will begin broadcasting select channels in 5.1 surround sound called XM HD Surround. Only two channels will use it 24/7 at first, but it’s only a matter of time before the technology picks up steam and becomes widespread.
    XM is also partnering with companies such as Yamaha and Denon to provide even more state-of-the-art in-home XM HD Surround stereo receivers.
    While XM Radio is a paid service and requires a little more pricey equipment, it’s commercial-free music, exclusive sport and celebrity access and ability to broadcast uncensored material put satellite radio miles above terrestrial radio, figuratively and literally.
    For more information on XM Satellite radio, visit the company’s site at www.xmradio.com.
    Editor’s Note: This is the second part of a two-part series comparing satellite radio options. To read C.J. LeMaster’s article on Sirius, visit www.reflector-online.com.