Butler key to West Coast

Sylvester Croom’s West Coast Offense is about to begin its third year of installation on the maligned Mississippi State offense. And while much of the work load typically falls on large wide receivers and pass-catching running backs, Croom has little hesitation about naming the position of greatest importance.
    “The tight end is big part in this offense,” Croom said. “He’s got to block. He’s got to catch. He’s big in short yardage; big in the redzone.”
    Finding players to fit that mold is not always as easy as it sounds. Most players with the speed and skill needed to carry out the passing packages are far too small to block defensive linemen and linebackers on running plays.
    Conversely, most guys with the size necessary to dominate a defense are less than threatening in the passing game.
    “You need big guys who can run and catch,” Croom said. “That’s why it’s extremely difficult to find tight ends in this offense.”
    For Mississippi State, this unique job has been placed on the massive shoulders of Eric Butler.
    Butler, a 6-foot-3 Moss Point native, weighs in at 250 pounds and has the third highest reception total of any returning player on the Bulldogs’ roster.
    Butler understands the value of the position to the Bulldogs’ success, and is doing his best to be competent in all facets of his position.
    “We have to do things to help other people get into position to make plays,” Butler said. “We may have to get off tough blocks quickly. We have to know pass protection, routes, everything.”
    Butler has seven career touchdowns for the Bulldogs and had his career best game last season against Georgia when he erupted for 53 yards on four catches.
    Off-season shoulder surgery kept Butler out of action in the spring sessions, but Croom has no doubts that the hulking tight end will be not only ready for action this fall but improved.
    “Butler is having his best year since we’ve been here,” Croom said. “His intensity and his practice habits are much better this season, and we’re looking for a big year.”
    Butler is backed up at tight end by 6-foot-3 junior Dezmond Sherrod and sophomore Jeremy Jones.
    Sherrod has started four games and played in all 22 games of his Bulldog career, while Jones has caught only one career pass for five yards.
    Despite missing the spring, Butler feels confident in his ability to dominate in the Southeastern Conference this season and says right now his focus is on helping the backups develop and become productive parts of the offense.