Web site endorses Sunday alcohol sales

A group of Starkville citizens headed by John Genin supporting Sunday alcohol sales started a Web site last month explaining their cause.
    Genin decided to create BetterStarkville.com to promote a change in the city ordinance regarding alcohol sales and also to “facilitate a citizen action network” to let people easily contact their aldermen.
    The Web site also lays out what it considers possible benefits that could result from a change in the ordinance. New restraints, sports bars, higher city tax revenue, better university recruitment, increased tourism, healthier economy and more Sunday dining options are given as possible outcomes of the proposed change.
    Many students and residents object to the proposed change to allow Sunday alcohol sales in Starkville. The proposed change was initiated by Ward 4 Alderman Richard Corey, but faces tough opposition from the rest of the Board of Aldermen.
    Many Starkville residents are opposed to the proposed change on moral grounds, but large numbers of students and business owners support the proposed change.
    Tex Bruce is a local business owner who also supports the sale of alcohol on Sunday.
    “If drinking alcohol on Sunday is any morally different than the other days then you have a case,” Bruce remarked during the May town hall meeting in response to claims that it was immoral to drink on Sunday.
    Sophomore Ben Lewis, a political science transfer student from Ole Miss, said the dry county status did not affect his decision to come to Starkville. However, he said the status may be a deterrent for some college students wanting to go out on Sundays.
    Brian Kelley, co-owner of Bin 612, would like to make that a reality. He said that if the ordinance was changed they would be open on Sundays and have NFL specials.
    Sophomore Josh Becker, a biological science major, remarked that the proposal represents the growing influence of students in the community.
    Some Starkville residents do not share the enthusiasm.
    “We don’t need students making our laws,” Dot Thomas said during the May meeting.
    The issue should not be a concern for now. Alderman P.C. McLaurin said the issue is not on the table for discussion and the Board of Aldermen see no need to put the question back on the agenda for now.
    A town hall meeting was held May 1 in Greensboro Center to give both sides of the issue a forum to voice their opinions. Students, business owners, church deacons and concerned citizens voiced their opinion.
    The issue has taken a back seat since then according to Corey, but that has not quelled the debate going on in the community.