Dead artists, free music

Music is a beautiful thing. Musicianship is a gift bestowed upon many of us, but only a select few get to make millions from that gift. But what happens to the millions made after those people die? Where does it all go? Usually to the family estate, record companies and sometimes charity organizations.
    The question first popped into my mind Thursday when one of the section editors at The Reflector started playing American V: A Hundred Highways, the first of a compilation of Johnny Cash’s final recordings before his death in 2003. The album was released in June of this year. I thought to myself, where’s the revenue from this album going? Undoubtedly, there were production and distribution costs, so those have to be paid for. But what about the huge sums that go to the artist and record company?
    This brings me to my beef. I think, after an artist dies and his millions have already been made, his music should become free.
    Especially in the cases of legends such as Cash. I think so because it’s a way for their legacies to live on and grow, and for people to experience the greatness of those legends without having to pay for it. It would be extraordinary if people could experience the likes of Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Garcia, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley-the list goes on-for free. And those are just 20th century musicians.
    But what about the bands themselves, with members still around? Sure, they deserve their shares, but honestly, they probably already got the money they earned.
    And I understand that in a capitalist nation such as the great U.S. of A., there’s no way we’ll ever get this music for free. Don’t get me wrong, I love capitalism. Nothing makes me happier than waking up and finding out a small business went bankrupt because Wal-Mart sells the same products for 30 cents cheaper. But still, why not enrich people’s lives with great music rather than enrich the rich’s pocketbooks? There’s no harm there.
    Now, I don’t want Lars Ulrich to have a heart attack here. Stealing music is bad, and the living still need Ferraris and mansions and drinking water from Fiji. I understand that. But there is something much more important than money, and that’s legacy.
    Realistically, people won’t ever get any of this music for free. But they can at least make it more affordable.
    After all, releasing a compilation of past recordings over and over again requires nothing more than a couple of mouse clicks and purchasing a bunch of plastic.