Lady Bulldogs set for fresh start at Alabama tourney

The MSU women’s team gets ready to kick off the fall schedule this weekend at the Roberta Alison Fall Tournament in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
    The team is talented, but at the same time, is young.
    Rene‹¨ Joseph is the only player on the team not a freshman or a sophomore, but that hasn’t stopped the team from forming a bond on the practice courts.
    “Team chemistry is working in our favor right now, so the girls are coming to practice being really excited and working hard,” head coach Tracy Lane said.
    The team is looking to bounce back from a disappointing 2006 season.
    They started the season ranked 33rd, but won only one SEC contest.
    Joseph, the lone junior, finished the season on an eight-match losing streak and is looking to rebound.
    All the girls, for that matter are ready to get back on the courts and show everyone else what they are truly capable of.
    “The girls did not get in a lot of match play over the summer,” Lane said.
    “This first tournament will give us a better understanding of where we are and what we need to work on.”
    Past failures are not clouding the Bulldogs’ future, as all the girls are looking to turn last season’s disappointment into huge success.
    The only player to post a winning record in dual match play was graduating senior Anastasia Kugakolova.
    She held the No. 1 position in singles for the entire season, and Joseph will have to fill her shoes.
    The team has shown major signs of moving forward with true freshman recruits Valeriya Makarycheva and DeAndra Saddler.
    “Our two new freshmen are doing a good job,” Lane said. “Deandra played probably the most as far as matches are concerned over the summer, and with being an American, is very well adjusted.
    “Everything is very new for Valeriya so only time will tell. Both new players work hard on the court and have weapons in their game so next week will be the test.”