MSU, state still among fattest locales

Mississippi State students and the notorious “freshman 15” have pushed the campus to the top of the list of most obese colleges in the country.
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 65 percent of Mississippians are overweight or obese.
    Obesity is now the number one disease in children and young adults in the United States, according to American College of Nutrition. With Mississippi being the third-most obese state for children between the ages of 10 and 17, consequently Mississippi State has a problem with obesity.
    Subway spokesperson Jared Fogle said he thinks part of the problem with the state’s obesity is the cuisine Southerners enjoy.
    “I don’t know how all you guys do it with all the biscuits and gravy,” Fogle said. “You have a lot of good stuff.”
    The “freshman 15” is a common saying around college campuses that refers to the weight gain often brought on by the freshman year of college. Many contributing factors to this gain are poor diet, late night snacking, drinking and partying and lack of exercise and physical activity.
    “The Sanderson Center averages about 2,000 visitors a day, which includes faculty, staff, as well as students,” says Laura E. Walling, Director of Recreational Sports. The MSU campus enrolls over 16,000 students.
    Mississippi State also offers 18 different intramural sports for students to
    participate in.
    Despite the college’s many opportunities for exercise and other activities
    to help battle weight gain, MSU still remains ranked as Men’s Fitness
    Magazine’s third fattest college in the nation for 2005.
    Fogle said he thinks the problem at college campuses emanates from the party atmosphere State students enjoy.
    “There’s a lot of overeating and a lot of beer drinking. There’s just a lot of things that are happening on college campuses that are just not the healthiest things,” Fogle said. “I see a lot of healthier alternatives when I go in the cafeterias of ollege campuses, and I see a lot more Subways on campuses.”
    Though Mississippi State does offer many physical outlets, one of its big
    downfalls in the fight against obesity is its on-campus dining services. The
    Perry Cafeteria does offer healthier options, but primarily focuses its
    menu on the needs of athletes. When the campus is already populated with people
    battling obesity, eating a diet meant for an athlete who burns a lot of
    calories only worsens the situation.
    America in general is fighting the battle with obesity. With MTV shows such as
    “True Life: I am Obese” and “True Life: I’m on a Diet,” the growing issue of
    obesity in the U.S. and the state itself is a very well publicized issue among college students.
    Fogle said he believes the future is bright for students, though.
    “University students are at a time in their lives when most of them are in a big transition period,” Fogle said. “I think this time in their lives is a time when they’re making choices that are perhaps going to have a huge impact on their lives.”
    .