Happiness should influence career

With all the recent news of Steve Irwin’s death, I can’t help but think of how many other times he could have been killed. It made me realize that it was his job to swim with sharks and play with poisonous snakes, and he apparently loved to do it. If a person loves someone, he will do anything for that person. So maybe people should treat things they really enjoy doing like a person and go all out for what they want to do.
    Although most people won’t be reality show wildlife hunters, I think it’s safe to say that almost every graduate will have a job. It seems people usually think of income when thinking of a profession, which is important, but that shouldn’t be number one. I believe happiness is the most vital part of a job.
    When I was young, my grandfather told me to always worry about my happiness because if I am not happy, I won’t give it my best. I used to think he was just telling me I was a brat if I didn’t get my way, but the older I get, the more I realize how true it is. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life until about three months after I came to MSU, and then it just hit me like a sack of bricks. I know that I won’t start off making six-digits a year, but I know I will be happy in journalism because it’s what I love to do.
    Almost anyone can make a living out of doing something they love. Some people dream of becoming a stay-at-home mom or dad, which has no income but can be the most rewarding job of all. Some people just want to be able to work in their underwear, and now that computers are used in almost every business, a lot of people can do work via the Internet in their home office. There are some cases where people can make the money they desire and also enjoy going to work every day. I would say this is too good to be true, but I have the advantage of knowing that my mother is one of those lucky people getting the best of both worlds.
    Choosing what you want to do with the rest of your life should take a lot of thought, contrary to what people might say. Last fall I met a student in his third year of school who still had no idea what he wanted to do. He was under so much pressure because everyone basically gasped when he said he was undecided. I recently saw him on campus, and he said he woke up one morning and knew what he wanted to do and is now pursuing that occupation.
    So for those still trying to decide on what to do in life, take into consideration the life of Steve Irwin. He might have had a dangerous job, but he had a passion for what he did. If you are debating between jobs over money and happiness, choose happiness.