Soccer Carolina bound

The MSU women’s soccer team returns to the road this weekend with a visit to North Carolina, taking on Charlotte and Gardner-Webb.
    The team is still looking for its first win of the year.
    Although the first two matches have resulted in losses, head coach Neil MacDonald remains optimistic.
    “I saw a lot of positives, and we need to build on them,” he said. “Our offense is a positive.”
    The team averages 16 shots a game, their opponents 14. However, their defense allowed 16 shots in the first two games.
    If MSU looks to come away with at least a tie, they will need to cut down on the fouls. They have committed 36 fouls, over twice as many than their opponents.
    “I think we need to show improvements on our teamwork. We’re a very, very young team-18 freshmen and sophomores. Every weekend is about trying to gain experience.”
    The lack of experience is crucial, especially at goalie. Taryn Holland, the starter, and Laura Hamm are freshmen. Stephanie Dallas is a junior. Charlotte (1-0-1) defeated Francis Marion 2-1 and tied Georgia State1-1 in double overtime.
    Sunday the Lady Dogs head to Boiling Springs to take on the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs, who come into the contest with at least two wins. Five different players have scored one goal apiece, with Tiffany Greene having a perfect shot percentage. That poses a problem for the Lady Dogs.
    “Our defense needs to be stronger,” MacDonald said.