Croom’s call

After Saturday’s 34-0 spanking from Auburn, MSU football coach Sylvester Croom said he shouldn’t have to do his regular Monday call-in show.
    Croom continued on to say that he didn’t want to hear anything about the offense, and that he wasn’t going to fire any of his assistant coaches. However, he apologized on Monday for his comments after being reprimanded by his wife.
    We can understand some of Croom’s frustration. Some fans can be extremely annoying and untactful. He’s been putting up with intense scrutiny ever since he started coaching here.
    But that doesn’t excuse the fact that it’s his job to do the call-in show. Mississippi pays for $180,000 of Croom’s $900,000 salary, and the rest is provided by a personal services contract. This package specifies that he must do the call-in show each week.
    In other words, it’s not like he’s doing this for free. If he simply volunteered for the show, then he would have a better reason to become irate.
    His reaction could possibly hurt attendance in the next few games. And it might not help recruiting, either.
    On the other hand, Croom made the right choice when he apologized. It probably wasn’t easy, so he should get credit for being brave enough to apologize.
    Yet the comments will still ring in the ears of many frustrated fans. The football program is at a low point, and it needs more encouragement. Angry words will only worsen the situation.
    We’re rooting for Croom to overcome this folly and ultimately improve the team. It’s going to take even more patience on his part.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor C.J. LeMaster, assistant news editor Keeley Tatum, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, online editor Sara McAdory, managing editor Ross Dellenger and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.