Do something about your weight

People like to complain. Simple as that, it’s just what we do best. Even on the day we are born, we come out kicking and screaming because we aren’t happy.
    But one thing a lot of people forget to do is fix the problem. I personally don’t mind someone complaining until it becomes an everyday thing, because listening to the same problem is a nuisance. I’m sick and tired of hearing people complain about the dreadful “freshman 15” or any unnecessary weight gain.
    If you have a thyroid problem, some sort of medical issue or you just don’t give a damn about your weight, disregard this article because I’m not focusing on you.
    But if you are one of those lazy, whiny people who won’t take the time to go to the gym or use your perfectly healthy legs to climb the stairs instead of using the elevator for two floors, this is all for you.
    There is no excuse for unwanted weight gain in college. We all know that the “freshman 15” is mainly from three things: alcohol, fast food and not being active.
    There is a building on this campus known as the Joe Frank Sanderson Center. If someone were to join another gym this well-equipped, it would cost them an insane amount of money. But to the advantage of the college students and staff here, all we do is scan our hand and go pump iron, do yoga, run, swim, play basketball and racquet ball, or take a funk-dancing class … I think you get the idea.
    It’s safe to say there is something for almost everyone at the Sanderson. Some go to great lengths in saying they don’t have time to work out. Well, if someone is that busy, they might not have time to eat or shower either, so I’d stay away from them because they are probably irritable and foul-smelling.
    Enough with exercise, because food is also a key factor in weight gain and loss. I know healthy food is more expensive than those wonderful hot pockets, but I personally believe it’s worth the extra dollar or two you would spend.
    And yes, I know how good those fast food billboards look when driving into Starkville. I’m not saying to cut out fast food completely. I just don’t think anyone needs a hamburger with three patties of meat on it.
    A word to the fast food wise is that Diet Coke isn’t going to do anything but help you wash down that processed meat and that mound of French fries.
    But because it’s so easy to make a late night run to Hardee’s or wherever, consider cutting down proportion sizes, and you’ll probably get just as satisfied.
    For example, many McDonald’s customers are clueless about the All-American meal because it’s not mentioned on the menu. It consists of a one-patty hamburger with or without cheese, small fries and a small drink, and it’s about the cheapest thing you can order.
    I have experienced dorm life first hand, so I know how difficult it is to eat without your own kitchen and how easy it is to grab a TV dinner and a big bag of chips and eat it all without blinking. It’s also a lot easier to pig out now that someone isn’t around to patrol you. For those students who drink alcohol, you at least know it’s not good for you calorie-wise, so there’s no point in even going there. College is drinking, and drinking is college-point made.
    I’m not implying everyone needs to lose weight, and I’m definitely not the Dr. Phil of nutrition. I have just used trial and error in maintaining a healthy weight and have found these methods have worked for me, and I know I can’t be the only one that it would help.