Bash: for community, students

I would like to respond to the Friday, Sept. 8, 2006 Editorial “Bulldog Bash: student event?” I am not sure if this opinion represents all of the Student Association, student body etc., since it was written by your staff, but I would like to respond as a sponsor, community leader and Starkville resident.
    Bulldog Bash is a very successful event that has been ongoing for the past seven years. This event originally started with the idea that it would be a city-wide celebration on the MSU campus under the direction of past SA President, Sebron Harrison and past SA board member Lee Beck to symbolize the working relationship between the Starkville community and MSU.
    Although it started on the MSU campus, it was moved to the Old Main District and eventually to the Cotton District because it is a MSU/Starkville community event. All the other past SA Presidents have realized this. In addition, 99 percent of your sponsors come from the community, and the Old Main District and Cotton District are not on the MSU campus. Bulldog Bash has been an asset to the community providing another unique event for Starkville and bringing in more tourism dollars, which the SA receives 20 percent of the 2 percent food & beverage tax. This event brings alums, students from other universities and visitors to the Starkville area which only aids in a good reputation for Starkville, more economic dollars as well as entertainment for MSU students and the Starkville community. The Greater Starkville Development Partnership – Convention and Visitors Bureau has sponsored this event every year at a level of anywhere between $1,500- $5000. This year we are a $4,000 sponsor. Are you saying that since we are not students we should not attend?
    I understand the feelings of having a line-up that the students were involved in. However, “your” Student Association was elected by the student body to represent “you.” Much like Starkville citizens elect the Starkville Mayor and Board of Alderman, we elect the officials that will represent our ideas and opinions. We put our trust in our city government, and the student body should put their trust in the Student Association. If all issues must come to a citizen vote, then why are they elected to be the “experts?”
    Regardless, the Starkville community and MSU community should be seen as one community. The local businesses support the MSU students, MSU faculty and MSU staff.
    In the same regard, MSU students, faculty and staff should support the Starkville community. My neighbor in town is a MSU student. We are all living side by side and should not discriminate.
    It is unfair for you to feel that Bulldog Bash should only be a student event. Starkville residents probably like to drink too. Starkville residents probably listen to Sister Hazel. Starkville residents support the Bulldogs and want to attend the pep rally. Why discriminate when individuals with similar interests can enjoy this event together, student or Starkville resident?