Not inspired Try ‘cheka’

Earlier this semester, I was bold enough to submit an article discussing a topic that most prefer to disregard completely.
    In one of the most sincere articles that I have ever read, I painstakingly wrote about the rapidly declining popularity of cross country (due to an overabundance of violence, drugs and scant clothing). That decline is a truth that the devoted fans at Mississippi State often overlook. It’s too harrowing to even think about, so most of us just don’t.
    Of course, there happened to be three separate articles about cross country in that single edition of The Reflector, and I will openly acknowledge the blatantly obvious fact that cross country is not diminishing in popularity. It is flourishing brilliantly, like a daisy in a perfectly suitable terrarium.
    And furthermore, I will be the first person to admit that my extensive research methods went no further than soul-searching. I will also be the first person to admit I am not very intelligent.
    But there is one subject involving cross country that has not been covered. One subject, so subjective, that it just happens to be the subject of this highly subjective article. The athletes on the cross country team have adopted a motto that I feel can enhance the lives of every single person in the entire world. And although I can only hope to reach the perhaps 20 people who read my column, I feel that the attempt is assuredly worth it.
    We run our races and live our lives by the teachings of a single word. That word is “cheka.” You’re probably thinking, “Cheka?! That’s not even a word, dude! Snap!” You are absolutely correct. It’s not a word. It’s a sound that the natives of Kenya pretend is a word in their fake language of Swahili. Fortunately for you and me, there is a Kenyan on the cross country team. His name is Jonathan Rono, and he explained to us the implications of the pseudo-word cheka.
    Roughly translated, cheka means “fun” in English. Once again, you’re probably interjecting, “Fun? There is an English word for that, and I just used it interrogatorily.” Yes, you did, but you must keep in mind that the English word does not hold the same connotation as cheka.
    To us, cheka means living your life to the fullest, pursuing your dreams, being awesome, maintaining superiority over robots, confusing Kenyans from other teams by yelling it at them mid-race and so much more.
    Cheka is what life is all about, people. If you’re not having cheka, then you might as well already be dead. You only live once, you know (disregarding the eternal afterlife in heaven, where I will see you all). Life is not about complacency. It’s not about stagnation. It’s not about reading silly articles. It’s about enjoying yourself. And how are you going to experience cheka if you never pursue it?
    So consider the word that I have falsely manipulated into something more than it really means, and don’t stop searching until you find it within yourself. You’ll have to look hard because your life is probably cluttered with boring and fruitless obligations that you do not enjoy. Realize that you are not restricted to what is not cheka. Nearly everything you do is a result of your own decisions.
    Subscribe to whatever you want, but only blame yourself when you have to follow the contrived rules of the path you have chosen. When it comes down to it, this is your only chance. Of course, my only fear is that Rono, in the spirit of cheka, gave me the Swahili word for “deception” rather than “fun.” In that case, disregard this entire article.