Dawgs finish strong at Arkansas

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in the top 15 of the 40-team field at the Chili Pepper Cross Country Festival on Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark., at the University of Arkansas.
    The women’s team placed 10th, with a total of 363 points, while the men’s team finished 13th, with 408 points.
    The women’s squad was the second SEC team to cross the finish line, beating nationally -ranked Alabama and also beating LSU and Ole Miss.
    The men’s team also bested rival Ole Miss.
    Annie Falor led the women’s team, finishing 40th in the individual field in the 6K race, with a time of 21:36.
    This is the first time this season that Falor has paced the field for the women’s team.
    Sophomore Michelle Corrigan followed Falor with a time of 21:46.
    Mina Thorstenson finished with a time of 22:09 to finish 71st, while Jennifer McPherson posted a time of 22:12 to finish 76th.
    “Anytime you beat SEC teams, that is a good thing,” women’s head coach Al Schimidt said. “We are going into the conference meet ranked fifth in the SEC on the women’s side, so we have a shot at finishing in the top three in the SEC in two weeks. Our first four really finished the way they should today.”
    On the men’s side, Travis McKay paced the field for MSU, finishing 56th on the individual side with a time of 30:53 in the men’s 10K race.
    Robert Scribner was MSU’s second finisher with a time of 31:24.
    Pad Judd registered a time of 31:32, while Jonathan Rono and Daniel Simpkins finished with times of 31:49 and 32:09, respectively.
    “We have a middle-of-the-pack attitude right now and if we do not change our attitude, we will finish in the middle of the pack at the SECs,” men’s head coach Steve Dudley said.
    The State cross country squads will compete next at the Southeastern Conference Championships on Oct. 28, in Baton Rouge at LSU.