Sky’s the limit

At first glance, the modest, blue-and-orange radio-controlled airplane looked like an overgrown toy. But as the plane gained speed on the runway and the smell of burning fuel permeated the air, all doubts about its capabilities were shaken.
    The engine growl waned as the RC-as it’s called by fliers-gained altitude, shooting straight up into the sky. As the plane fell straight back down, it spun like a top.
    It looked as if the device had finished its tricks, now left to smash into the ground, propeller-first. However, the colorful bird avoided the destructive nosedive with ease, still several feet above the earth. The RC landed shortly thereafter.
    After this brief exhibition of the first flight on Saturday’s annual Sky Dawgs Remote Control Airshow, the flier of the RC, Mississippi State student William Lott, said, “That wasn’t a whole flight, by the way. The fuel line popped off.”
    The two-day airshow, hosted by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, has been going on for four years. The event primarily serves as a fundraiser for MSU aerospace engineering students. The money is used for AIAA conference trips and student projects.
    Lott, a senior aerospace engineering major, was contest director of the event four years ago when he was vice president of AIAA’s August Raspet student chapter.
    “We needed a good fundraiser,” Lott said. “We had several pilots around. It’s common to hold a fly-in. It’s good publicity for the hobby.”
    Lott added that special permission must be asked to hold the event at Starkville’s George M. Bryan Airport.
    “We want to thank the airport for allowing us to hold this event,” he said.
    In previous years, outside clubs from various cities sanctioned the event. Because the Sky Dawgs Remote Control and Rocketry Club was formed earlier this year, last weekend marked the first time a local club sanctioned the event.
    There were 13 pilots signed up for this year’s event. The show also attracted about 20 spectators Saturday and 30 to 40 spectators Sunday.
    “You get people from all over who fly all kinds of stuff,” said aerospace engineering graduate student Nathan King, who is president of the Sky Dawgs.
    However, as much as the event is for seasoned fliers, it also functions as a way to introduce people to flying. Newcomers to RCs can have introductory flights at the event for $5.
    “We love to have people stop. We love teaching new people,” King said.
    “Come out and try it. Don’t just come and watch,” Lott said.
    People who are new to flying typically start out with the “buddy box,” sophomore aerospace engineering major Joshua Fanning said. The buddy box allows a newcomer the power to control an RC. Trainers can use a switch to take control of the RC if things get hairy for the novice.
    “A hairy situation is when you don’t know where’s it at and where it’s going. If you get in trouble, they release the switch and have immediate control,” Fanning said.
    Having started the hobby in March, Fanning is relatively new to flying. He said he was only a little nervous flying his RC in front of people at the event.
    “It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be-flying in front of people. I was more worried about the wind,” Fanning said.
    Fanning became interested in flying RCs while working on a design team with some other students who had planes. And after eight months with the hobby, he has learned some of the things one should remember when flying.
    “Don’t let it get behind you,” he said. “Always keep your eye on the plane. [But] don’t trust your eyes. Trust your brain.”
    In RC flying, orientation involves which way the plane is pointing and how high and far away the plane is. For instance, Fanning said that when the plane is coming toward the flyer, the controls for turning are reversed.
    “It can be nerve-wracking at times,” he said.
    Another large part of the RC hobby is building and repairing the plane. “You are going to crash the plain. You have to be able to fix it,” Fanning said.
    “It can be sickening,” said Lott, who has been flying RCs for 12 years. “You devote so much time, effort and money into this hobby, and it can be gone in a split second.”
    Moreover, pilots have spotters beside them while flying. The spotter’s job is to monitor air traffic, weather conditions and any unexpected condition, Lott said.
    Besides providing a flying atmosphere, the annual airshow offers social value as well. “Part of the fun of this event is visiting with people,” Lott said.
    “It’s the social aspect-being around people who enjoy the same thing,” King said.
    Although this year’s annual airshow is over, those interested in RCs can still receive training. The Sky Dawgs usually meet on Sunday afternoons at North Farm, which is located across from Waffle House off of Highway 182.
    “We encourage people to stop by or contact the members,” King said.